1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How many, what size bricks for KEJ-1101?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by DCS, Jun 15, 2013.

1. DCS

DCS New Member

Loc:
    Oregon
    Does anyone here know how many and what size splits are needed to re-brick a KEJ-1101?

Thought I'd ask here before I start cleaning and tearing into the old dirty one here.

Thx.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I'm not sure how many there are, but there are several different lengths and widths in the floor be ause of the ash dump. Also keep on mind that the floor has two layers, so what ever bricks you see, you'll need to double it.
  3. BKVP

BKVP Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Walla Walla Washington
    Actually, the 1101 never had an ash dump. The bricks are also only a single layer in the 1101.
    All the brick are 1" x 4" x 8". Corners and a couple of others need to be cut, but a hack saw scores them nicely for breaking clean.

Call our offices Monday and we'll get you a brick pattern..have a great weekend.
  4. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    For the million dollar question. Heavier, standard bricks, or lightweight, pumice bricks. And why? ;lol
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Chris, did you mean the universal firebrick size of 1.5 x 4.5 x 9 inches or are these all non-standard sized? 1x4x8" would require cutting every brick down to size.

BK1101.JPG

Just found an old manual for the stove. It looks like this is a hybrid with a secondary air tube and cat combustor. Is that right? Kudos for forward thinking on BK's part.
  6. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Oh, I see. I'm still not familiar with the older BK's, that's why your here!
  7. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    So, since it came up, BKVP whats with the 2 layers of floor bricks in the newer models? With the pedestal, I would think it wouldn't need it for floor protection reasons. Is it because it's also available with legs?
  8. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I thought I read in the manual that it is for hearth protection. No R-value required. Most other pedestral stoves do require an R-value don't they?

I thought that one of the current models, maybe the classic, only has a single layer of brick on the bottom. It perhaps has more to do with the ash-chute than with heat resistance.
  9. DCS

DCS New Member

Loc:
    Oregon
    I called them today, and the nice lady emailed me a diagram that shows the layout and the cut dimensions.

Bricks are 9 x 4 1/2".

Thanks!
  10. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    That's what I thought. Thx for the update.