How many wood piles do you have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 and 1/2 Holz hausens 2 linier stacks 6 cords and building 3 more HH in the fall. (HH) Great for saving space.1 acre lot in the snupurbs.

blowell said:
I have got 15 or so cord

Shawn - how do you obtain most of your wood?

I had 4 cord on hand at the end of last season, this is for next season.

Most of my wood came from CL. I put an ad on CL and got a few callers, I also check CL regularly for people in the area giving away wood, expecially after a strorm rolls through. Where I live it is not hard to find wood.

Right now I am working with the local power company ( I contract to them for other work) to clean up an area around a new sub-station going in. I need to do this at no cost and no risk to them of course, but with it being literally 4 miles from my home, and a mix of Hickory, Oak, Maple, and Walnut.... um HELL YEAH !!!! I just wish I knew who else was collecting from the site since from my understanding I am the only one with permission.

After I get all that I want or all that I can from here, I have another site(CL ad) lined up with a private owner, he is clear cutting a couple acres. I also have quite literally another 20 cord of Pine (CL as well) that I can take if I want to. Those 20 Cord are on a private site as well.

It is amazingly easy what you can find if you get the word out.

My wife thinks I am nuts but hell to me it is money in the bank.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
My wife thinks I am nuts but hell to me it is money in the bank.

Better than money in the bank.

You don't pay tax on the increase in value of your wood whilst it is getting older and more valuable ;-)

Made another pile. All Silver maple. Sits beside the same general area, but outside of the River Rock (Ran out of Wood racks). Gonna start rotating the Pine and Silver maple I cut in the beginning of May into the Shed or Barn, to free up room in the racks. The Pine and Silver (Cut 1st week of May) are already at a pretty low M/C.

Attachments

• Long Stack of Maple 1.jpg
    Long Stack of Maple 1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 148
woodchip said:
You don't pay tax on the increase in value of your wood whilst it is getting older and more valuable ;-)

And no federal income, state income, self-employment, FICA, payroll, sales taxes on gathering and processing it other than federal income, state income, self-employment, FICA, payroll, DMV fees and sales taxes on the equipment and fuel.

NATE379 said:
I think you guys would drool over the wood piles my brothers uncle in law (is that even a such thing?). He burns about 100 cords a year. Heats house, workshop, milking parlor, swimming pool and a garage all on a big outdoor boiler.

Now that would take a lot of work every year!!!!! At least he can burn big stuff in there which would cut down on the cutting and splitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.