1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How many wood piles do you have?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Backwoods Savage, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    2 and 1/2 Holz hausens 2 linier stacks 6 cords and building 3 more HH in the fall. (HH) Great for saving space.1 acre lot in the snupurbs.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. shawneyboy

shawneyboy New Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    I had 4 cord on hand at the end of last season, this is for next season.

Most of my wood came from CL. I put an ad on CL and got a few callers, I also check CL regularly for people in the area giving away wood, expecially after a strorm rolls through. Where I live it is not hard to find wood.

Right now I am working with the local power company ( I contract to them for other work) to clean up an area around a new sub-station going in. I need to do this at no cost and no risk to them of course, but with it being literally 4 miles from my home, and a mix of Hickory, Oak, Maple, and Walnut.... um HELL YEAH !!!! I just wish I knew who else was collecting from the site since from my understanding I am the only one with permission.

After I get all that I want or all that I can from here, I have another site(CL ad) lined up with a private owner, he is clear cutting a couple acres. I also have quite literally another 20 cord of Pine (CL as well) that I can take if I want to. Those 20 Cord are on a private site as well.

It is amazingly easy what you can find if you get the word out.

My wife thinks I am nuts but hell to me it is money in the bank.

Shawn
  3. blowell

blowell New Member

Loc:
    N. Eastern MA
    Sounds to me like you're a wood gathering genius.
  4. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    Better than money in the bank.

You don't pay tax on the increase in value of your wood whilst it is getting older and more valuable ;-)
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Made another pile. All Silver maple. Sits beside the same general area, but outside of the River Rock (Ran out of Wood racks). Gonna start rotating the Pine and Silver maple I cut in the beginning of May into the Shed or Barn, to free up room in the racks. The Pine and Silver (Cut 1st week of May) are already at a pretty low M/C.

Attached Files:

6. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    And no federal income, state income, self-employment, FICA, payroll, sales taxes on gathering and processing it other than federal income, state income, self-employment, FICA, payroll, DMV fees and sales taxes on the equipment and fuel.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Now that would take a lot of work every year!!!!! At least he can burn big stuff in there which would cut down on the cutting and splitting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.