How much electricy does FHW propane fired furnace pull?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortlid

Dec 30, 2007
Derry, NH
OK, have a 1991 Pearless Cast Iron Propane fired boiler with two zones with two circulation motors. If in a power outage I wanted to run it witha Generator how much would it take to operate it?

There should be a name plate on the unit somewhere, with the voltage, amps, and possibly watts listed there. To convert amps to watts multiply the amps by the voltage. Same thing for the circ motors they should have a name plate there, add them all up and multiply by 1.25 to account for startup current.

So should a 3000 watt gen set run it?

Yes I would assume so. Just looking at a taco 007 model circ pump they draw .76 amps 2 of those about 182 watts in the pumps, i am really reaching here but a propane boiler and a controller probably only uses another 100 watts or so so call the whole mess about 300 watts, you should have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.