1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How much kindling?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Adam_MA, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_M

John_M Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    I have the equivelent of four 50 gallon drums of kindling, chunks and cookies gathered from fallen branches and a recently downed ash. This does not include all the ends of 2x4's, 2x6's, 2x8's, 2x10's and 2x12's left over from building my house. I have been splitting these leftovers by hand using the best kindling splitter hatchet ever made. My neighbors really appreciate a surprise box of kindling during the burning season. This year I may split some of these for myself but I will not use my trusty Plumb splitting hatchet because my arthritic right wrist does not take kindly to the pounding.

This year I will use my new 26 ton H/V wood splitter in the horizontal position. Using this to split kindling is like using a 200 hp outboard to scramble eggs. But it will save my wrist and I just enjoy using the splitter.

So, even with donating some to neighbors, I will probably have enough kindling for about two years. As others have said, one cannot have too much kindling, especially when you are only a nights and weekend burner.

John_M

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Keep watching. As soon as my body quits acting up (just not able to do much of anything right now), I'll get some pictures on how to do that splitting extremely easy and fast using a 20 ton splitter....vertically.
  3. donmattingly

donmattingly Member

Loc:
    Southern,NH
    I have two sources for kindling. One comes from the wood splitting area, depending on how much splitting is done, I will usually get 5-6 five gallon buckets or kitty litter containers full of kindling. Also, we have 3 large silver maples in the yard. My wife claims they are healthy and would give me holy hell if I took them down. Well, for healthy trees, they sure drop a lot of branches! They are all picked up and put into the kindling pile. Rarely to I have to buy that ridiculous $6 bag of dry kindling wood at the hardware store.
  4. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    That's why old dairy crates work so well. You can jam the wood into the crates and stack the crates. Of course, only legally obtained dairy crates would ever be used by anyone on this forum, right?

Peace,
    - Sequoia
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.