How much smoke in the house when the power goes off ??? 1-10

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
None for me Doug. I get a natural draft from the 4" diameter, 20 foot tall vent.

Only time we have had smoke is when the wind is hitting the vent directly causing a back draft. Otherwise no issues. We are planning on using our old golf cart batteries to set up a backup system, but that is something neither DH or myself are comfortable doing ourselves without schematics that are clear.

Just got the Harman P68 up and running about 3 weeks ago. My APC UPS arrived today so I will be ready if we have an outage. I got the recommended one so it should perform a proper shutdown whenever I lose power. Also have Pacific Energy Classic woodstove at the other end of the house so we won't freeze if there's an extended outage.

My Accentra 52i went out twice in the past 24 hours due to outages. In both instances, the pellets in the stove gradually burned out with no smoke at all. My fireplace chimney flue runs about 15 feet. Not worried anymore about a UPS but will look into a battery backup. I have a 5500 watt Powermate generator and it did restart the stove fine (I forgot to unplug it) but I was concerned about it not being a pure sine wave generator so I shut it down and switched on the oil heat. I have read some posts that the sine wave concern is overstated but didn't want to take a chance.

0 smoke.. power went out for 3 or 4 hours Wednesday before Thanksgiving, Fire slowly burned it self out.. took 15-20 minutes, no UPS or genny at this point, zero smoke.. I attribute this to the 15' vertical vent running up the chimney with no T.. natural draft was enough.

Same here. Power went out, stove burned out, no smoke in house. Harman Accentra 52i with 15 feet of pipe up chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.