How much time/how many fires for factory paint to burn off?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomann

Oct 5, 2016
Hun
Hi,

Our new stove has been installed about 2 weeks ago.
Please see details (and some other questions :) ) here .
We had the break in fires as per manual, and use the stove since then on a daily basis, it burns 3-5 hours in the evening, on weekend days more.
In the first couple of days the smoke and smell of the (matte black) factory paint burning on/off the stove (not sure which description is the better one) was really intense, but after 2 weeks of use as described above it still did not disappear completely, we have to air the house each time. It is not a disaster but still unpleasant and disturbing.

Is this normal?
Can I do something (othet than normal use of the stove) to speed this process up or eliminate the smell?

Thanks for the tips!
Bo

I noticed some smell every time the stove reached a new high temp. Operating at normal cruising temps both of my stoves were pretty much cured after 3-4 fires. But if I got it pretty hot and reached a new high temp it would smell a bit. I never thought the odor was unbearable. For the first few fires I opened the windows. After that I was good to go.

To get the stove to stop smelling run it at a higher temp, normal cruise temps are between 550 - 650 deg, so some stoves depending on draft, wood type ect will make a jump into the 700's

The manual also says run the stove with air fully open for some time/ until the smell is gone, but honestly i am afraid to overfire the stove that way.
We have very strong draft and very dry hardwood, when we let the fire go the intensity is almost scary :)

As you run the stove more you will become more comfortable in pushing it harder. It is harder to over fire an epa stove with the air turned all the way down. Running it with the air all the way open and that is a different story.

Get a proper stove top thermometer so that you know what temperature the stove is running at. As long as you keep it below 750ºF/400ºC it should be fine. However, the first time the stove goes over about 375ºC you may smell the paint baking in more and dust burning off. If you see any part of the stove glowing red, close down the air controls. That is too hot.

Thanks all! Yes a stoverop thermometer seems to be useful, I will see where I can get one. Here in Hungary it is a non existing gadget so guess I have to order one from Germany or UK..

Morso dealers sell them.

Reactions: Bomann
Our smell faded after the first really hot burn.
Repainted over the summer teardown and remembering last winter
we baked it hot with the windows open on a coupla 50 degreee F mornings.

This should not be done unattended as adjustments likely need made to run on
the edge of safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.