how much to sell for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geka

Oct 30, 2008
New Jersey
We just set up our new Hearthstone Heritage in our kitchen fireplace. It is quite warm outdoors now so will wait a few days before we start our first burn. We formerly had a Vermont Castingns Defiant in this spot. We purchased it new 23 years ago. It throws out major heat and has done a great job in our home. We just wanted something more efficient. The VC is tight. Gaskets replaced when necessary. Does have a crack inside the back but it has not affected it's performance that we have noticed. No rust. It is a matte black complete with one warming shelf and mitten brackets. We are thinking of sellilng it but wondered what a fair price would be. Any suggestions?

Moving to hearth room as I think you'll get a better response over there... I would suggest looking on E-bay or Craigs list to see what similar stoves are selling for in your area.

Gooserider

I'm guessing $300, but maybe less due to the crack. It may not be an issue yet, but probably will be in the future. Cracks are often where serious warping develops when the firebox gets hot.

I sold my All Nighter Jumbo Moe ( 1980 vintage) over Craigslist for $500 last summer.

The crack would really bother me if I were looking your stove.

The crack in the back is typical of old Defiants, there was a recall and a repair kit (lotsof bucks). The crack, if its open allows some of the the gases to bypass the secondary burn making the stove less efficient. If you run it with the front doors open and screen on it or it you dont use the secondary burn feature it doesnt impact things a bit. I see them routinely sell for $500 without the crack and around $300 with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.