How much wood do i need in southeast Oklahoma?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silenced38

Feeling the Heat
Apr 11, 2014
Southeast Oklahoma
Just hoping someone in my area might be able to give me an idea of how much wood i might need. Just trying to get 3 yrs ahead. And curious what someone in similar climate burns. 1500 sqft fair insulation in southeast Oklahoma, englander Madison stove.

I'm not familiar with your climate, but I can say if you have the room to store the wood so that it is stacked and top covered, you can't go wrong going big.

Are you planning on heating 100% with wood? Are you OK with supplemental heat?

What sort of design is the house? Where is the stove located in the home?

In general, new burners often burn more wood the first year when learning the stove / getting wood well seasoned than happens in subsequent years. I'd say, a good place to start is figuring 4 cords per year, so getting 12 full cord (128 cubic feet per cord and we'd be talking about hardwood, more is necessary if it is softwood) of wood on hand. This way, even in a worst case scenario where you burn an incredible 6 cord in one year, you still have a year on hand seasoning. If you don't burn that much, stacked properly and top covered, the wood isn't going to go bad and it will wait for you to use it.

pen

Live in Virginia now but came from Northwest Texas where the climate is pretty close to yours. And where you are gets a damn site colder than most on here realize. Though we get more snow here, the cold is pretty much the same here as it was there. In fact I can watch the weather systems come over you and turn North at TN and head right for us. Dad used to say there is nothing between TX/OK and the North Pole but a barbed wire fence, and it blew down.

We burn three cord a year in an Englander 30-NC in a larger house but close off two bedrooms most of the winter. I would figure that would be a pretty good number for you to get through most winters.

As pen said, you will burn more the first year with a new stove. I still do after a lot of years cooking trees to heat the house. Figure four cord the first year. You can adjust as you get more experience with the stove under your belt and you get more seasoned wood.

I'm not familiar with your climate, but I can say if you have the room to store the wood so that it is stacked and top covered, you can't go wrong going big.

Are you planning on heating 100% with wood? Are you OK with supplemental heat?

What sort of design is the house? Where is the stove located in the home?

In general, new burners often burn more wood the first year when learning the stove / getting wood well seasoned than happens in subsequent years. I'd say, a good place to start is figuring 4 cords per year, so getting 12 full cord (128 cubic feet per cord and we'd be talking about hardwood, more is necessary if it is softwood) of wood on hand. This way, even in a worst case scenario where you burn an incredible 6 cord in one year, you still have a year on hand seasoning. If you don't burn that much, stacked properly and top covered, the wood isn't going to go bad and it will wait for you to use it.

pen
Ranch style kitchen living room in middle two bed and bath on one end and master bed and bath on other end. Stove located about dead center.
Im going to heat primarily with wood. I know my wood this year is not going to be optimal. I have 2/3 of a cord of pine css in april. 2 1/3 of a cord of hickory. That was standing dead in march when i css. 1 rick of red oak css? And 2/3 of a cord of pen oak css in april. Prolly get an other 3 cords of pen oak when the weather cools next month. Im gona get a moisture meter before season starts.

Last edited:
Your right it can get cold here. But i think when i was solely burning propane. i only used less than 500 gallons to heat with. Just dont want to have to split more than needed . All my splitting is still done with a maul. That said when i was in school in the mid 80s. It stayed below 0 for over a week. The river froze hard enough to walk on and the water main in Poteau froze and busted.

That sounds like a good setup for wood heat, and sounds like you are going to have enough around to get you though winter this year. With wood less than well seasoned, keep the chimney sweeping equipment on hand and don't be afraid to do it more often than not, even monthly the first winter just to be on the safe side and give yourself a measure to compare to for the future when deciding to extend the time between sweeps. Keep an eye on a chimney cap, as they are often the first to plug,,,, depending on design and other factors of course.

With wood stacked in an area that gets the breeze and is top covered, don't worry about getting too far ahead this year,,,,,, most won't! Even when trying! Well seasoned wood is worth it's weight in gold. Keep at it and do more than you think is reasonable, you won't be disappointed!

With wood stacked in an area that gets the breeze

Getting a breeze won't be a problem for him there. ;lol

ETA: Just checked. His average wind speed is twelve miles an hour year around.

Last edited:
Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.