How much wood do you burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SufficientSelf.com said:
Is it possible that during a super hot summer with enough retaliation they could be dry in such a short amount of time?

Highly doubt it.

joefrompa said:
All kidding aside, I thought I'd evaluate the wood as to whether or not to burn a little. I've seen freshly felled trees that burned great.

Well, i think I just found my first truly unseasoned wood. I'm rolling about 1500-2000 pounds of this wood onto my property, and I decided to take my new-ish fiskars super splitting axe to it.

BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM

10 strikes, and not a single one sunk in. Every chop bounced off the wood. Barely left a mark. Not even a sign of cracks.

This tree was, tops 35 years old (age of development). I've struck this axe into oak, ironwood, and lots of other stuff...and it always sunk in, even if it didn't crack it.

This stuff it just bounced right off of. What causes that? Will it go away once the wood dries out a bit?
just cause its unseasoned doesn't mean thats why its not splitting. i have split pieces of wood i resplit to make smaller and they do that sometimes. all deponds on the wood. ive been splitting some sugar maple rounds that are bout 40 inch ill take a wack at it to take the end off and bam like ya said comes right up at ya. try using a wedge and a sledge hammer. and i dont think burning freshly felled trees is a good idea. if you have to cuz thats all ya got then ok but not good specially if you have a epa stove your going to get in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.