How much wood do you think this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
I like checking out the ads hung up on the board at the local gas station up in VT. I spotted this one last night. How much wood do you think think a 1 ton would hold? Just thought this would be a fun pic for discussion.

Attachments

• howmuch.jpg
    howmuch.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 805
Looks like 8x8x3 loose tossed? Maybe a cord?

2.5' high x 6' wide x 8' long = 120 cu ft = .9375 cord (if it is stacked on the truck, which it does not appear to be so 'tossed' is, what(?) 20% less, so .75 cord)

Shari

~*~vvv~*~ said:
ton=ton=2000lbs......water in the wood is the waste factor. legal 1ton truck might hold~ 1/2 cord?

Maybe a potential buyer could request "no water, please"? :) :) :)

Shari

Just under a cord, I just called the number. Just screwing around my guess would be 1.5 cords.

zap

zapny said:
I just called the number.

Now there is a practical way to answer the question

Skier76 for Senate.

zap

Attachments

• howmuch.jpg
    howmuch.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 636
This is almost exactly a cord in my one ton 8' x 9' flatbed.

MVC-031S.jpg

I would guess about 3/4 of a cord as it does not appear to be mounded up above the cab.

Skier76 said:
I like checking out the ads hung up on the board at the local gas station up in VT. I spotted this one last night. How much wood do you think think a 1 ton would hold? Just thought this would be a fun pic for discussion.

I know a local fellow who sells firewood by the "cord." To him a cord is 4' x 8' long, in other words, a face cord. When he sells a load of wood he sells it as 6 cords!!! So, one day I asked one of his workers how much the truck held and was told it holds 5 but sells at six. But, I also know that once that wood is stacked, it does not even measure out to be a full cord. Close, but not a full cord.

Just out of curiosity. 3 face cords should average out to a cord if u use 18 in long splits. Right?,

Occo370 said:
3 face cords should average out to a cord if u use 18 in long splits

16x3 is 4 feet.

I like the order the ad is in; cut,split,delivered,seasoned!! I guess it is seasoned after it is delivered.

I think that truck would hold 1.25 - 1.5 cords.

that looks like a mason dump truck which is more than a 1 ton dump truck there is about a cord of wood in there , since the bed on that truck is 8' x 7' by about 2 ' high.

overnight burn said:
that looks like a mason dump truck which is more than a 1 ton dump truck there is about a cord of wood in there , since the bed on that truck is 8' x 7' by about 2 ' high.

I realize this is all hypothetical but that looks to be tossed in. My bed is 8' x 9' and when tossed and mounded up I end up right at a cord.

BTW: I am pretty wore out by the time I get it loaded anyway so a cord is fine with me.

IMO it doesn't matter how much wood it is. there is no price listed
so, if it is 1 cord or 3/4 cord the deciding factor is cost
if he/she only wants 50 bucks its still a deal
or being there is no price listed maybe its free and he.she just wants to get rid of it
like me, noone wants my free wood
everyone says yes but noone ever comes to pick it up

Status
Not open for further replies.