How much wood in an Oak 30" DBH?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecfinn

Dec 12, 2005
Ambler, PA
I looked up some old posts because I remember seeing a chart but it only went up to 22" DBH and this one is between 28" and 30". It took me two trips with my 6x10 trailer to get most of it. I couldn't even get the piece on the stump because it was just too big and the tree service didn't quarter that one. Before splitting/stacking I'm going to estimate it at roughly 1.75 - 2 cords based upon how full the trailer was. The large rounds were HEAVY! I would guess they are 200lbs + at about 16-18" length.

If I cut/split/stack it before the end of Feb. can I burn it this time next winter?

Later,

Eric

What a tree! Unfortunately, without knowing the height, impossible to calculate. Also, some oaks are straight and tall, others are short and stubby; some have lots of big side branches, others are self-pruned and not many branches until you get a long ways up. I don't think without more info can make much of a calculation in advance. As to drying, I dry my oak three summers before using. Two summers might work, I wouldn't even try after one summer.

I cut one down that was that size and it yielded one full cord of wood. Whether its ready or not depends on how its dried and how much water you can keep off it. Cover the tops , hope for lots of sunshine and SW winds. It may be ready in one years time.

I cut a few cords worth of oak last winter (dec 06/jan 07) and have been burning it with great success this year. It was split and stacked by the end of jan 07 and I was using it this past december. Yes, less than a year to dry. I got a cheapo moisture meter and have yet to see more than 20% on it (after re-splitting to measure the center). I'd say that this past summer was an exception, it was hotter and much drier than normal. Your weather this summer AND placement of your stacks will have a lot to do with whether its ready for next year or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.