How much wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfishn

Hearth Supporter
Mar 9, 2008
North Van , BC
I plan to purchase the Regency Medium Classic Step Top Wood Stove. I live in North Vancouver , British Columbia. Is there any one here who can tell me what I might burn over the season. I figure a chord a season. It will be my main source as I intened to leave the furnace way down. So who ever in the Lower Mainland or as South as Seattle has a wood stove, do pipe up, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

How large a home is this? Unless this is a tiny cottage, I would figure closer to 2-3 cords of wood for the season.

What are your current fuel bills like? There is usually a direct correlation between what you currently use and what you will use! :cheese:

Chris

On my lot i can supply maybe 2 cords of wood per year from my woods from dead wood and a few fresh cuts.Im not planning on running the harman wood insert 24/7! more like 70% wood and 30% oil.I live here in Ct. and planning on using the stove from sometime in Nov to mid april.I hope i will have enough wood to cover it.My home is a colonial with about 1600 sq feet to heat!The stove is on the first floor and i can circulate the air threw the duck work via the hydro air heating system blower.

Burning two stoves most all day everyday and into the evening, I went through nearly 7 cords of softwood this season. Both stoves are fired up right now. Depends on what wood you're able to get hold of, how much space you're trying to heat, and how many hours/day you intend to burn...and, of course, your local climate/temperatures and how long the heating season lasts. Lay in a generous supply, it won't go bad if you keep it dry from one season to the next, in fact it'll just get better. Rick

Our house is 2200 square feet, yet I am only heating the upstairs,living,dining and kitchen. These are the only rooms upstairs serviced by the furnace. There are 2 bedrooms down a small hallway, but I am not counting on the heat from the stove making it to them. These bedrooms have baseboards which I have disconnected as they come on when the temp drops. I will be using space heaters in these rooms as they are more controllable.
So I figure we are planning to heat about 700 square feet, if it heats more, then that is an unexpected bonus.

I'm not familiar with the stove you said you're planning to buy & install, but I will suggest that if there is an available option for a blower for the stove, you spring for it. A blower will go along way toward moving the heat around. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.