How my cold starts is to much.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If i kept my stove light 24/7 around here i would be opening doors. I do not mind to much to start a fire as BB said it is a fact of life. But it is easy to just keep my stove going but things get too hot for me when it is mild outside.

When temps are more mild, I'll have a big morning fire and a big evening fire - I almost always have enough coals to light kindling from the previous fire, but the stove is certainly pretty cold, so I consider it a cold start - just not having to use a fire starter. I don't like to just have a fire to keep coals in the stove if the house is warm enough - I'd rather let it die and start another fire later - not a big deal, but, then again, I really like starting fires....Cheers!

haven't lit a match since october.

Lots of restarts . . . no big deal.

I build a new fire each day. Havn't used one fire starter. A little kindling some dry wood and a couple of seconds with
the propane torch. No problem. One small tank of propane lasts a long long time if I only use it for starting fires. I think
they cost about $3.00

Frequent restarts are common for me with a small firebox it just don't last long enough - however I'm not complaining. I get a feeling we're gonna pay for it next year. Although I can't remember a winter going by with no ice on the Susquehanna River (I'm 33), I do see a pattern. Warm, dry winter so people sell their snow blowers and 4WD vehicles for something more fuel efficient then the next winter BAM! There is a rush on snow blowers and 4WD vehicles start selling again.

I too get the feeling is going to be cool dreary summer. I'm sort of a weather geek and seeing the abnormal weather, 2012 might be just as interesting as 2011 weather wise. Time will tell. Another thing I've heard more then a few older people say they remember in the 60's there was a warm winter and we had a freak snowstorm on Easter.

Weather - it's always happening everywhere just what and when is the guessing game.

Here in North East PA not much snow this year. But we got 4 inches Thursday and 2 inches Saturday. Temps like most of the east have been above normal. Restarts are a pain, but better than burning wood. I have a wood burning firepit with a built in propane starter. I have been thinking about making one for my Oslo. After this year I'm going to work this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.