How pellets are tested by PFI

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BLIMP said:
http://www.corinthwoodpellets.com/corinth7.24.09.pdf results from Corinth

7-24-09 That's a bit old no???

BTU of 7608 isn't all that great for a pellet these days! I would say Out of PFI spec of 8000 BTU minimum. Tisk tisk for even letting that one out there for us to see! And don't go blaming the moisture content. It was about 6.55% which isn't bad.

Hmmm... A test sheet that is over a year old, or day to day real world results here on the Forum from people that are actually burning them for heat. Let me think now. Which should I use to decide...

BrotherBart said:
Hmmm... A test sheet that is over a year old, or day to day real world results here on the Forum from people that are actually burning them for heat. Let me think now. Which should I use to decide...

I know pretty boring. Blimp should just PM me his phone number and we could hash it out and save the forum from the BS. On second thought, He'd probably just yell at me and make me deaf! Do you think I need to get a life????

j-takeman said:
BLIMP said:

BTU of 7608 isn't all that great for a pellet these days! I would say Out of PFI spec of 8000 BTU minimum. Tisk tisk for even letting that one out there for us to see! And don't go blaming the moisture content. It was about 6.55% which isn't bad.
seems they aint updated but wouldnt it be nice if all Pmafrs. posted current results so that different pellets could be easily compared? though old this is the only report I've seen.

BLIMP said:
j-takeman said:
BLIMP said:

seems they aint updated but wouldnt it be nice if all Pmafrs. posted current results so that different pellets could be easily compared? though old this is the only report I've seen.

Some will email you there latest test results. But then again thats what the PFI label is for. Right???

j-takeman said:
BLIMP said:
j-takeman said:
BLIMP said:

Some will email you there latest test results. But then again thats what the PFI label is for. Right???
maybe not= my corinth bag has no btu# but claims heat equivelance of 2.5 gal. oil & thats vague. Now, seems u can get latest TP test results & compare them to your own test results, if u care

BLIMP said:
j-takeman said:
BLIMP said:
j-takeman said:
BLIMP said:

maybe not= my corinth bag has no btu# but claims heat equivelance of 2.5 gal. oil & thats vague. Now, seems u can get latest TP test results & compare them to your own test results, if u care

I was comparing my testing with what Woodpellets.com was getting for independent results.

http://www.woodpellets.com/gallery.aspx?zip=06101

Most of what they had is now off the site. I think they are updating them. From what I gathered the moisture content was the biggest BTU robber they found. Not sure what lab is doing there testing???

Corinth has a PFI label on the bag, Doesn't the label state greater than 8000 BTU's????

j-takeman said:
BLIMP said:
j-takeman said:
BLIMP said:
j-takeman said:
BLIMP" date="1281550798 said:

I was comparing my testing with what Woodpellets.com was getting for independent results.

http://www.woodpellets.com/gallery.aspx?zip=06101

Most of what they had is now off the site. I think they are updating them. From what I gathered the moisture content was the biggest BTU robber they found. Not sure what lab is doing there testing???

Corinth has a PFI label on the bag, Doesn't the label state greater than 8000 BTU's????
no btu # on pfi label. bag says equivalent to 2.5 gal oil onnly

I just checked the PFI site and they have a link to there standards again. Check page 3 section 6. It has there test requirements. Straight from the horse's mouth!

http://pelletheat.org/wp-content/up...rcial-Densified-Fuel-Revised-June-23-2010.pdf

6. Test Methods
6.1 The requirements enumerated in this specification shall be determined in accordance
with the referenced ASTM test methods or other referenced methods except where
modifications are noted or in accordance with the test procedures specified.
6.1.1 Bulk Density – Determine in accordance with ASTM E 873 except this method shall
be revised to utilize a 1/4 cubic foot container that is tapped 25 times from 1 inch. In
order to insure that an adequate sample quantity is available for this revised method, a
minimum sample size of 12 pounds (5.44 kilograms) is recommended.
6.1.2 Diameter - Select 5 pellets randomly out of the pellet sample being evaluated and
measure the diameter of each pellet with the caliper specified in 8.1. Each measured
pellet diameter shall be recorded to the nearest 0.001 inch. The average pellet
diameter as well as the range of all pellet diameters measured shall be calculated and
reported to the nearest 0.001 inch.
6.1.3 Pellet Durability Index (PDI) – Pellet durability shall be determined by using the
method specified in Annex A.1. It should be noted that the pellets remaining after
performing the fines determination as specified in 6.1.4 can be used without further
preparation to conduct the durability test.
6.1.4 Fines – Determined using the following procedure that incorporates the use of a 1/8-
inch (3.17 mm) wire screen sieve. All weight measurements shall be recorded to the
nearest 0.1 gram.
6.1.4.1 Secure a representative fuel sample.
6.1.4.2 Reduce the sample size down to a minimum of 2.5 pounds (1,133 grams) using a
sample splitter with 3.5-inch (89 mm) slots. Larger sample sizes may be used.
6.1.4.3 Using the analytical balance specified in 8.2, weigh the sample and record as the
initial sample weight to the nearest 0.1 grams.
6.1.4.4 Weigh the receiving pan and record the weight to the nearest 0.1 grams.
6.1.4.5 Attach a 1/8-inch (3.17 mm) screen to the receiving pan and place the pellet
sample on the screen using care not to overload the screen. The maximum load
on the screen should not exceed 1 pound (453 grams) of pellets per 100 square
inches (654 square centimeters) of screen surface area. Smaller screens may
require the sample to be screened in increments.
6.1.4.6 Screen the sample by tilting the screen side to side 10 times.
6.1.4.7 If the sample is being screened in increments, after the first portion has been
screened remove the 1/8-inch (3.17 mm) screen from the base pan, and empty the
pellets off the screen.
6.1.4.8 Repeat 6.5.1.5 through 6.1.5.7 until the entire sample has been screened.
6.1.4.9 Remove the 1/8-inch (3.17 mm) screen and weigh and record the weight of the
base pan with the fines to the nearest 0.1 grams.
6.1.4.10 Calculate and report the percent of fines to the nearest 0.01% as follows:
% Fines = [(Weight of Base Pan + Fines) – (Weight of Base Pan)] x 100
Initial Sample Weight
6.1.5 An alternative fines determination procedure is provided in Annex C.1.
6.1.6 Inorganic Ash – Determine in accordance with ASTM D 1102.
6.1.7 Length - Starting with 2.5 pounds (1.13 kilograms) of pellets randomly selected from
the sample being evaluated, hand sort to identify pellets over 1.50 inches in length.
Use the caliper specified in 8.1 or a certified measuring block as specified in 8.3 to
confirm that a pellet exceeds the specified length. The weight percent of all pellets
exceeding the specified length shall be reported. In addition, of the pellets exceeding
the specified length, the longest pellet shall be identified, measured with the caliper
specified in 8.1, and the length reported as the maximum pellet length.
6.1.8 Moisture – Determine in accordance with ASTM E 871.
6.1.9 Chloride – Determine in accordance with ASTM E 776 or ASTM D 4208 or ASTM
D 6721.
6.1.10 Ash Fusion - Determine in accordance with ASTM D1857.
6.1.11 Heating Value – Determine in accordance with ASTM E 711.

Best I can do for you and I hope it finally makes you happy!

Did my buddy Blimp finally get what he needed or did he just give up??? just kidding with ya! :lol:

I sent an email to PFI on the Super Premium grading level. Not only do I expect a cleaner burn but I also feel they should be a higher BTU rated pellet. My suggestion was there should be a minimum spec of at least 8500 BTU's. Might be kind of high, But if we pay a premium price the product should be the best we can buy! I tried to expain it like hitest gasoline and an octane rating. They did reply with:

Dear Jay:

Thank you for your feedback. I will forward your comments along to the Standards Committee for their consideration.

Best regards,

Jennifer Hedrick

Seemed pleasent and they did reply.

Anybody look at the new standards yet?? Any thoughts?

Before the said new standards are in place. I think we might want to voice concerns. Its our chance to unput what should be there. Enter them now before its a done deal! I will also post this in the thread I had on the new standards w/link to the standards

Take care

Blimp,

I am sitting here watching mythbusters and guess what they are doing? Measuring calories of cereal! Episode is steel cannon and Breakfast cereal! Check it out!

looks almost simple even! For a lab test anyway!

How many btu's do i have to burn to lose 50 Lbs..... just thought I'd ask...

krooser said:
How many btu's do i have to burn to lose 50 Lbs..... just thought I'd ask...
In the dead of winter it takes me a little over a day. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.