How popular are pellet stoves in homes in Europe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stentor

Hearth Supporter
Apr 3, 2009
North of Boston, Mass
How popular art stoves in Europe? Are your pellets mostly made in Europe or imported from North America? And how expensive are pellets compared to other forms of heat for your home?

A local forestry professor I know who supervises various bio-fuel projects tells an anecdotal story that in certain parts of Europe pellet deliveries come via truck that blows the pellets into large basement hoppers, just like the oil or propane truck delivers to our tanks. If true that tells me they have a healthier and more vibrant industry than us.

dac122 said:
A local forestry professor I know who supervises various bio-fuel projects tells an anecdotal story that in certain parts of Europe pellet deliveries come via truck that blows the pellets into large basement hoppers, just like the oil or propane truck delivers to our tanks. If true that tells me they have a healthier and more vibrant industry than us.
thats available around this neck of the woods.

In Europaethey do have an existing infrastructure in place for bulk delivery of biomass. These are mostly connected to biomass central heating systems, not "stoves" They are very far ahead of the USA in regards to residential and commercial biomass central heat. Although there is bulk delivery available in some parts of the US, our country is still in the infancy stages when compared to Europe.

Stentor said:
How popular art stoves in Europe? Are your pellets mostly made in Europe or imported from North America? And how expensive are pellets compared to other forms of heat for your home?

I think I'll have my wife apply for a grant for us to go do an in depth study of this very question, but perhaps in the Carribean, rather than Europe.

The burning of biomass for heat in Europe is light years ahead of here in the states. There are some european manufacturers that make very nice biomass gasification boilers and there are some here in this country, Hurst Boiler being one.

Franks said:
In Europaethey do have an existing infrastructure in place for bulk delivery of biomass. These are mostly connected to biomass central heating systems, not "stoves" They are very far ahead of the USA in regards to residential and commercial biomass central heat. Although there is bulk delivery available in some parts of the US, our country is still in the infancy stages when compared to Europe.

Yep, they had these systems in place back in 2000 when we had our pellet stove. Made me jealous to see the large delivery networks and infrastructure they had. Especially when there's still nothing like that in our area where the pellet stove was invented.

This goes back to the old BB site before the forum, but here is a relink:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/16/

Thanks for the links. They're interesting.

Looking at the figures, there is room for residential growth in areas where you have a milder and damp winter. Italy's an example in Europe, in contrast to the existing heavy users like Scandinavia and Austria. With a few exceptions from the Pacific Northwest, most of the folks who post here seem to be from New England, New York, and a few in the upper Midwest (plus Canada). Bagged pellets should make some sense in other states, unless capital expenditure on the stove is a barrier. Or lack of retail infrastructure.

Of course, a lot of people can just go get wood for a traditional stove or fireplace. (Sorry, too much thinking out loud.) :coolsmile:

Most heating systems in Norway are Electric, they have tons of cheap Hydro power and they are smart enough to heat with that and export their oil to pay for their social services.

Stentor said:
Thanks for the links. They're interesting.

Looking at the figures, there is room for residential growth in areas where you have a milder and damp winter. Italy's an example in Europe, in contrast to the existing heavy users like Scandinavia and Austria. With a few exceptions from the Pacific Northwest, most of the folks who post here seem to be from New England, New York, and a few in the upper Midwest (plus Canada). Bagged pellets should make some sense in other states, unless capital expenditure on the stove is a barrier. Or lack of retail infrastructure.

Of course, a lot of people can just go get wood for a traditional stove or fireplace. (Sorry, too much thinking out loud.) :coolsmile:

I think you see more pellet use in areas that traditionally were dependant on Heating Oil and/or cord wood. I switched from that combo when my family and friends decided they were better off selling the fire wood off their land than letting people they know use it for free when heating oil was near $5 gallon a few years ago. I figured if I was going to pay $300 cord for wood I may as well pay $250-300 for pellets and not have to deal with the mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.