How to adapt tricky insert flue to liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

db4570

Nov 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Hi everyone. First post here, but I'm sure I'll become a regular!

We have a cabin with a stone fireplace that I want to install an insert in. I'm looking for an inexpensive but safe and correct way to do it.

I found a really nice old used Bollard insert at a great price, but the flue has me perplexed. It opens off the rear of the insert, facing back, and is 3"x27" long.

IMG_3093.jpg

It's not a great picture, but hopefully you get the idea.

I don't see anywhere to attach a flue, and don't know if it could be adapted to say an 8" round, and turn a 90 angle to go up.

I like this insert, the price is right, and I want to make it work. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

Thanks for the reply, even though it's not what I wanted to hear.

I hate the idea of not being able to buy a really nice insert for $150, and instead having to spend $1000 on a cheap new one. More modern used ones don't seem much of a bargain compared to new.

But I want the thing to work right, and worry that anything I try to kludge up as far as a flue will not work very well.

If anyone else has other ideas, though, speak up!

David

That is a 30+ year old insert, it is just a steel box that you burn wood in, nothing really "nice" about it. The problem is you are looking during PEAK season, you should have been looking in the spring-summer time if you wanted a deal, now all that is left is the overpriced junk everyone had stored in their barn till now.

Keep looking, there are still deals to be had (just more rare) from people buying a house and not wanting a wood stove.

OK, you talked me out of it. I am considering one these two on Craigslist for $200:

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Haven't seen them yet. The guy says the Timberline has a rusty door. They might both be real junky.

But I'm also thinking about one of those cheap Home Depot Englanders for $1000 minus the $300 tax credit = $700, if I understand it correctly. This is just for a humble cabin, so I'm trying to keep it cheap.

Then the liner gets expensive...

David

Thanks for the link to that 13I, Mellow. I think going to buy it. That is a good price.

I have been looking at its twins at HD and Lowes, and it looks like a pretty decent unit.

Do you know anything about that dealer?

Also, I'd like to get the $300 tax credit on it. Is that pretty straightforward?

I found a 15 ft. 6" flex chimney liner kit for about $400 from rockfordchimneysupply.com . They seem like a decent outfit, with good prices and free shipping. I called them for some help determining what I need and they were very helpful. Any feedback on them?

David

I got my liner from Rockford and get my supplies from them, had no issues so far.

I can't vouch for AMFM, but others have bought stoves from them on here and haven't had issues, just keep in mind they are factory seconds and won't be perfect looking but should function 100%.

Talk to your accountant about the tax credit, but here in MD all I did was tick a box in my tax software and it took it off. Keep your receipts.

Status
Not open for further replies.