How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes it was a turd but look at the polishing you’ve done so far and how much YOU have learned about your stove!! Hell look how much i have learned about your stove lol.
Yes. Thank you Ssyko.
I appreciate all of it.

Btw, I got home about an hour ago and fired it up again. It's on 5 with the dampener wide open.

How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner

Think it has helped a lot of people. It has given me more reason to buy a moisture tester for the corn and get off my lazy butt and build a dryer for the corn.
The root of the problem was not wet corn it was not sucking it out and cleaning the stove properly. The blockages started as ash that could have been sucked out with a leaf blower. But instead the previous owner kept running it then jumped the vac switch and kept running it until it was breathing so poorly it started getting sticky. Properly dried corn or pellets will do the same thing.

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
Rx,
You need to run the brush up the ash traps and try the leaf blower before to long. Also after you do that try hooking the vac switch back up and see if it will hold

Rx,
You need to run the brush up the ash traps and try the leaf blower before to long. Also after you do that try hooking the vac switch back up and see if it will hold
Yes, definately. Yesterday when I got home from a couple appointments I checked the ashtraps and popped off the those little access caps. I was dying to see if there was anything in there. I ran a coat hanger around but didnt feel much. I heard a couple small somethings fall, but otherwise seemed clear.
I sure wish I had a tiny camera buttlight on a cable I could really colonoscopy this thing with. See how bad it is back there.
Depending how whipped I am when I get home tonight at midnight, I may wire it again.
Time to go play with the older people for the evening.
I feel so bad for them sometimes. They've all been locked in quarantine for going on a year!

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up
Oh I just noticed that, I think you’d have to remove and inspect then, might be able to get some in underneath the fan maybe

Reactions: Ssyko
With enough perfume, you can even make a turd smell good...... Or so they say. :)

Yes, definately. Yesterday when I got home from a couple appointments I checked the ashtraps and popped off the those little access caps. I was dying to see if there was anything in there. I ran a coat hanger around but didnt feel much. I heard a couple small somethings fall, but otherwise seemed clear.
I sure wish I had a tiny camera buttlight on a cable I could really colonoscopy this thing with. See how bad it is back there.
Depending how whipped I am when I get home tonight at midnight, I may wire it again.
Time to go play with the older people for the evening.
I feel so bad for them sometimes. They've all been locked in quarantine for going on a year!

A colonoscopy cam is a bit more complex and very costly because it not only 'sees' what is in there, it also uses a heated wire to remove and cauterize and polyps...... Why you have to be squeaky clean inside so there is no chance of infection so, you have to drink that awful stuff and become glued to the throne for a while... Been there and did that many times. Being a survivor they watch me like a hawk. They have violated every orifice I have including that one....;lol My last big go around cost just south of a million bucks, sure glad we have excellent health care. and now I'm doing it again, but this time I did cyber knife, the external BBQ but I'm about to go back on chemo for a couple months. I hate that stuff. rat poison.

Not germane to this discussion though. What is, is, I suggest you go on Amazon and buy yourself an endoscope that plugs into your cell phone. They are cheap, you can get one for under 30 bucks and the cam image is in color and you use your cell phone to power it and receive images.

Very handy tool. I use it for rifle and handgun bore inspections all the time and looking in places you cannot see in like walls or even sewer lines.

Most of them come with a 3 meter cable, plenty long enough for most needs. of course made in China like almost everything else electronic.

The root of the problem was not wet corn it was not sucking it out and cleaning the stove properly. The blockages started as ash that could have been sucked out with a leaf blower. But instead the previous owner kept running it then jumped the vac switch and kept running it until it was breathing so poorly it started getting sticky. Properly dried corn or pellets will do the same thing.
[/QUO
You can buy a cam on a cable? Cool! I want one.
So what did they make you drink?
Go-Litely? I alway thought they were trying to be funny when they named that stuff.
Were you given the option of immunotherapy drugs like Keytruda? It's a lot less nasty than chemo.

I call it
Blow Lightly. Actually, last time I didn't. I did the ducolax stuff, Same deal only no liquid except bottled water. Don't bother me much, it's a means to the end. The back end. I'm in a different option scenario. Infusion every 3 weeks and Xeloda 2 pills in the am, 2 in the pm for a while. Probably 90 days. He just wants to make sure there isn't any cancer cells floating around. My CEA levels are normal and have been.

If I told you what I've been through in the last 2 years, you'd shitte. Least I don't have bag and I can shitte normally. I don't mind doing it now. When it gets warm it's time to farm so any chemo or infusions are off the table. I'm ported anyway. Infusion is a snap other than I get tired easily. They 'plug' me in for a couple hours. No biggie. First time I had do a pump at home. Told him no pump no more. I hate wearing one. Hard to sleep, hard to work in the shop, hard to do anything actually and especially hard to carry a firearm, something I do almost all the time.

Have a very good friend with a bag and his butthole sewn shut. Bad deal but kind of SOP when your intestines explode.

Cancer is a cash cow for hospitals and doctors. they don't want to 'cure' a money maker.

I've had every scan known to man. Pet scans, CT scans, MRI's, had my stomach pumped because I had a reaction to some of the chemo that was fun, tilt your head back and get a greased up tube stuffed down your nose, then you get to watch all the stuff come out the tube, all joyous stuff. I have no virgin orifices left including that one...

When I go in to get something done, first thing I do is get naked and put on a Moo Moo. I can actually tie them in the back...lol I even have 'frequent flyer' booties I wear, they don't want you in your sock feet. When I was in recovery the first time they issued me 3 pair so I wear them. Everyone knows what they are and they denote me as a veteran.

have to say the hospital I go to, St. Joe in Ann Arbor is the best. friendly caring people and they all treat you like family. They address me by first name and they remember me too. Nice to walk down the hall and have some tech greet me by name, but then I'm never in the dumps no matter how bad it gets. If you don't maintain a positive attitude, well, you have to. Attitude is half the recovery battle. First go around I was only interred for 4 days and I'm cut from my chest to my navel and around the right side to my hip. Called a 'Whipple'. Had 3 transfusions and the surgery was 5 hours with 2 surgeons. One for my ascending intestine which was removed and one for my liver, lost 35% of that. reattached the intestine with titanium sutures. I had zero pain. In fact, I've had no pain the entire time from any of it other than some soreness where they BBQ'd my liver lesions with the Cyber Knife at maximum dosage in 5 sessions. My chest and tummy do look like 5 miles of bad road however.

You asked I told you.

Back to regular programming.

Damp corn and no maintenance, a certain recipe for disaster. Looking at the exhaust tract in your previous pictures I'd say the damp corn was a huge contributing factor, that coupled with no care and just run it, did it in. Ssyko will tell everyone there are 2 important aspects to any biomass stove's longevity, maintenance regularly and good fuel. Everything else follows and drops right in line.

Just cleaned mine this morning. I purposely let it run out of fuel last night and it was chilly in here when I got up at 6am for my hot coffee. 6:15 the propane furnace came on and brought the temp right up to 70 and I got my britches on and cleaned the black box and dumped the full ash pan in the driveway. Out came the burnpot and the stirrer in a bucket of water and installed the other already cleaned burnpot and stirrer, dumped in a handfull of liquid firestarter soaked pellets, a dab of jelled firestarter and lit it with a farm match, closed the door and energized the stove. In about 3 minutes the room air fan came on and it's been running all day and will keep running until Wednesday when I clean it again. Corn makes a lot of ash and I could go to a clinker pot but I'm used to my cleaning regimen now. Forgot to add, a few drops of 3-1 oil on the bronze stir rod bushing too. I made my own in the shop 2 years ago. Mine is 2 times as large and 2 times as long as the OEM bushing. I have various diameters and lengths of 660 CA bronze bar stock in the metal rack. I'm always making bushings for equipment some big ones for backhoe's too.

I always run 2 pots and 2 stirrers. One soaking in water while the other is in the stove. Water soaking a burnpot is the easiest way to remove hard carbon, most of it will flake right off and whatever is left, a coarse scotchbrite pad will get rid of. Quick dry with a paper towel and in it goes.

71 in here, 50%RH and the cats and wife are all happy. So am I. I do need to mix up my corn pellet mix this week sometime and fill my plastic trash cans, I'm on my last full can today. Gives me an excuse to fire up one of the tractors anyway and I need to put the blower on the back, wife says we have 3-6 coming Monday evening. I might actually get to blow and plow some snow. Not excited.

Less than 5, I don't do anything. Has to be 5+ for me to consider it and 6 will do it. Warm up the tractor, turn on the climate control to 68, crank up the hillbilly station on the FM and go play in the snow. I prefer doing snow at night anyway. Less idiots coming up and down the road that I have to watch out for, Besides, my 4 front facing and 2 rear facing high intensity LED spot lights are blinding. I need to see, they don't. I can fry their eyeballs for all I care. You don't want to tangle with a 10 foot snow plow and an 8 foot snowblower on a 10,000 pound tractor anyway, especially with crazy old me driving it.

The weatherman just started to throw around the 8-12" snow Monday and Tue. Should go put the seat back in the skidsteer. The ole girl is 49 years old and just got a new exhaust. Still runs well but like most things of a certain age tend to leak a bit and needs maintained.

The ole girl is 49 years old and just got a new exhaust. Still runs well but like most things of a certain age tend to leak a bit and needs maintained.
Sounds personal to me................. ;lol

It's COLD and windy here in SE Michigan and I'm running right around 100 pounds of corn every 24 hours. Glad I have a lot, I'm burning a lot right now. It's in notch 5 and staying there but not idling down at all.

I call it
Blow Lightly. Actually, last time I didn't. I did the ducolax stuff, Same deal only no liquid except bottled water. Don't bother me much, it's a means to the end. The back end. I'm in a different option scenario. Infusion every 3 weeks and Xeloda 2 pills in the am, 2 in the pm for a while. Probably 90 days. He just wants to make sure there isn't any cancer cells floating around. My CEA levels are normal and have been.

If I told you what I've been through in the last 2 years, you'd shitte. Least I don't have bag and I can shitte normally. I don't mind doing it now. When it gets warm it's time to farm so any chemo or infusions are off the table. I'm ported anyway. Infusion is a snap other than I get tired easily. They 'plug' me in for a couple hours. No biggie. First time I had do a pump at home. Told him no pump no more. I hate wearing one. Hard to sleep, hard to work in the shop, hard to do anything actually and especially hard to carry a firearm, something I do almost all the time.

Have a very good friend with a bag and his butthole sewn shut. Bad deal but kind of SOP when your intestines explode.

Cancer is a cash cow for hospitals and doctors. they don't want to 'cure' a money maker.

I've had every scan known to man. Pet scans, CT scans, MRI's, had my stomach pumped because I had a reaction to some of the chemo that was fun, tilt your head back and get a greased up tube stuffed down your nose, then you get to watch all the stuff come out the tube, all joyous stuff. I have no virgin orifices left including that one...

When I go in to get something done, first thing I do is get naked and put on a Moo Moo. I can actually tie them in the back...lol I even have 'frequent flyer' booties I wear, they don't want you in your sock feet. When I was in recovery the first time they issued me 3 pair so I wear them. Everyone knows what they are and they denote me as a veteran.

have to say the hospital I go to, St. Joe in Ann Arbor is the best. friendly caring people and they all treat you like family. They address me by first name and they remember me too. Nice to walk down the hall and have some tech greet me by name, but then I'm never in the dumps no matter how bad it gets. If you don't maintain a positive attitude, well, you have to. Attitude is half the recovery battle. First go around I was only interred for 4 days and I'm cut from my chest to my navel and around the right side to my hip. Called a 'Whipple'. Had 3 transfusions and the surgery was 5 hours with 2 surgeons. One for my ascending intestine which was removed and one for my liver, lost 35% of that. reattached the intestine with titanium sutures. I had zero pain. In fact, I've had no pain the entire time from any of it other than some soreness where they BBQ'd my liver lesions with the Cyber Knife at maximum dosage in 5 sessions. My chest and tummy do look like 5 miles of bad road however.

You asked I told you.

Back to regular programming.
Holy crap!! I can't imagine going through that. Youre one toughy!
Ive been lucky so far, just some knarly arthritic feet and ankles and trouble keeping my weight down.
At 59 could be worse *knock on wood*.
But still better than the alternative, imo.
My husband went FAST.
Diagnosed in August, gone by February.
His only symptom was waking up one day and sounded hoarse...like he had a bad cold.
We were stunned that it was stage 4 lung cancer! Already spread to his liver.
He did the 2 chemo drugs plus immunotherapy, Keytruda. The VA spared no expense, he had doctors from Scripps and UCSD on his team. None of it helped. The metastasized cancer just ate his liver like it was candy. He ultimately died of liver failure long before he had any pulmonary issues. :(
I'm constantly asking WHY. Wondering "what if.." if if if. Pointless.
Why now? We were married only 2 years. Why now. He was about to recieve a large inheritance and retire.
Why now. I found his bio mom we'd been looking for, for years. I found her 2 weeks after he died!!
There isnt an answer. It just IS and it just SUCKS.

Anyway, thanks for letting me spill off topic complaints and rants.

• Sad
Ok, so I'm stuck at home. We're getting snowed in. Thank goodness I only had to reschedule an oil change.
The stove is COOKING! Ive had going since about 10am. I'm running it on 4, just stepped it up to 5. The pellet are only just now starting to get ahead of the burn. The pot is about half full. So 6 hours before it starts getting too full. And it's plenty hot!
The conv fan is a nice and quiet now..but it doesnt seem to want to run on high. The air blowing out the tubes is HOT HOT HOT. I added my summer fan to move some of this hot air.
IMG_20210125_162834537.jpg How to burn wood pellets in 2006 Auburn corn burner

Last edited:
No problem with me. Least mine was not fast spreading. This week will be a groan, I start back on infusions on Thursday and 2 xeloda in the Am and 2 in the PM for 2 weeks, off for a week and repeat again for 3 months. I still cannot write a check, print anything or sign my name, my fingers don't work that well anymore. I can still load ammunition and shoot however and shop work is no issue, glad of that but the things that require dexterity I cannot do. Used to really pride myself on my cursive, especially printing stuff. Not any more. Cannot print anything you could read.

Not looking forward to what is coming but if it keeps me north of the dire, I'm good with that. One of my dear friends just came down with Covid and he's my age early 70's and has medical issues. Just said a prayer for him.

Little apprehensive of the xeloda. Last time it almost did me in, I wound up in the hospital on IV's for a week and got my tummy pumped too. When my wife took me to ER I was totally incoherent, don't remember any of it really. The cut the dosage in half so it might be ok, we will see.

Cancer is a strange disease. Most times you don't know until it's too late to arrest. I was lucky in that respect, had God on my side as well as excellent doctors and of course a 'Caddilac' health plan too.

When they told me I had a 30% survival chance, I cried my eyes out and the resolved to myself I'd beat it and I have, so far. Still have places to go, things to see and people I want to piss off yet.

Got my Nebraska Mule Deer mount delivered Sunday. He's on the wall with the rest of my mounts. I get them all cape mounted because when I look at them they inspire memories of past hunts, people I've met along the way and places I've been. Every one evokes a trip down memory lane.

Need to put a few more on the wall yet. Not done.

Are you supposed to get any of this winter storm your way?
Tonight, 3-4. Not enough to fiddle with really. Has to be 5+ for me to get a tractor out. Staying cold here though. Fine with me. Cold is good for the ground, kills the bugs and allows the soil to rest.

Reactions: Rxwoman1961
Ok, so I'm stuck at home. We're getting snowed in. Thank goodness I only had to reschedule an oil change.
The stove is COOKING! Ive had going since about 10am. I'm running it on 4, just stepped it up to 5. The pellet are only just now starting to get ahead of the burn. The pot is about half full. So 6 hours before it starts getting too full. And it's plenty hot!
The conv fan is a nice and quiet now..but it doesnt seem to want to run on high. The air blowing out the tubes is HOT HOT HOT. I added my summer fan to move some of this hot air.
View attachment 272824 View attachment 272825
Looks good. I put a small box fan on top of my stone, that works pretty well and I have one of those Harbor Freight tube fan air movers perched on top of my wife's curio cabinet on the opposite side of the room that blows toward the kitchen and laundry room. Keeps the warm air circulating. tried running the central furnace on blower only, that didn't work too well. Moves way too much air in too big a space.

That should subside as the exhaust tract gets burned out. It needs to be smooth inside. The more turbulence there is, the less exhaust flow you have.

Tonight, 3-4. Not enough to fiddle with really. Has to be 5+ for me to get a tractor out. Staying cold here though. Fine with me. Cold is good for the ground, kills the bugs and allows the soil to rest.
[/QUO
No problem with me. Least mine was not fast spreading. This week will be a groan, I start back on infusions on Thursday and 2 xeloda in the Am and 2 in the PM for 2 weeks, off for a week and repeat again for 3 months. I still cannot write a check, print anything or sign my name, my fingers don't work that well anymore. I can still load ammunition and shoot however and shop work is no issue, glad of that but the things that require dexterity I cannot do. Used to really pride myself on my cursive, especially printing stuff. Not any more. Cannot print anything you could read.

Not looking forward to what is coming but if it keeps me north of the dire, I'm good with that. One of my dear friends just came down with Covid and he's my age early 70's and has medical issues. Just said a prayer for him.

Little apprehensive of the xeloda. Last time it almost did me in, I wound up in the hospital on IV's for a week and got my tummy pumped too. When my wife took me to ER I was totally incoherent, don't remember any of it really. The cut the dosage in half so it might be ok, we will see.

Cancer is a strange disease. Most times you don't know until it's too late to arrest. I was lucky in that respect, had God on my side as well as excellent doctors and of course a 'Caddilac' health plan too.

When they told me I had a 30% survival chance, I cried my eyes out and the resolved to myself I'd beat it and I have, so far. Still have places to go, things to see and people I want to piss off yet.

Got my Nebraska Mule Deer mount delivered Sunday. He's on the wall with the rest of my mounts. I get them all cape mounted because when I look at them they inspire memories of past hunts, people I've met along the way and places I've been. Every one evokes a trip down memory lane.

Need to put a few more on the wall yet. Not done.
Yes, cancer can be sneaky. Having good health insurance is like having a good lawyer. It can make all the difference between winning and losing.