how to clean liner...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsandlin0803

Dec 23, 2008
Eastern KY
I am about to install my new liner, but wanted to go ahead and ask how to clean the liner each year.

The kit comes with a Tee where the pipe enters the chimney.

Only question is how would I get to the Tee to take the cap off so that build up could exit the liner?

I know it is a newbie question, but I need to know so that I can clean next year.

Thanks
Jason

what kind of appliance do you have? stove, insert?? you can clean a liner just like you would a masonary chimney, brush, extension rods, buckets, etc.. in most cases you have to pull the appliance out to get to the cleanout, SORRY!! or if you can get a shop vac (ONLY WHEN STOVE/CHIMNEY IS TOTALLY COOLED DOWN AND NO HOT ASHES, NOTHING CAN BE WARM, LET THE SYSTEM COOL DOWN ATLEAST A DAY) inside the tee while sweeping the chimney, only problem with this is the dust inside the house. those are really your only options. good luck with the intall! WG

It really depends on some things that you haven't told us here. Like how the stove is going to be connected to the liner? If you have an outside clean-out door on the chimney and if you do how far below the tee the door is? And any other details of your planned installation that you can think of.

And congratulations for thinking about how you are going to clean this thing before doing the installation. You would be surprised how many don't address the issue until it comes time to clean it the first time. It is easier to design cleaning the chimney into the installation than to have to work around obstacles every time it needs to be done.

I will be installing a summers heat stove 1800sq. ft. from lowes.
It will be going in front of the old chimney hole, which will be covered with a hearth pad and screws.
The stove pipe will enter around 4' up the brick where the hole is for the stove pipe to enter.

Should I put a piece of stove pipe extending from the bottom of the tee so that I can reach it more easily to take the cap off?

The chimney is in the middle of the house, so I do not have a cleaning door on the opposite side.

Thanks
Jason

why are you covering the firebox? i wouldnt extend your tee with a piece of pipe. if it were me i would fabricate a piece of sheet metal for a bottom plate instead of covering the whole firebox. doing that creates more work down the road. again you may have to take the appliance out a couple times a year to clean. WG

jason- instead of covering the firebox, measure (square of circle) where the liner comes out of the chimney, i think you said it was 4' high!?! measure a little big so you can form it around and secure it to the chimney wall. this will be easier for you to perform maintence, ive known ppl to use heavy duty bags taped to the bottom off the tee to catch what is brushed out. again, NOTHING CAN BE HOT, NOTHING!!!!!! since the stove will be sitting in front of the firebox you should have room to do these things w/out moving the stove

The stove pipe goes into the brick above the old fire box.

The firebox opening is not very big. The wood stove covers pretty much all of the opening.

I am sorry, but i still dont understand. How do i measure the (square of circle)?

I may be out of luck and have to move the stove each time. What do you think?

above the firebox where the fireplace meets the chimney (its either going to be circle of square) you can fabricate a piece of sheet metal to go around your liner and secure to the brick. this will prevent room temparature from escaping around your liner. also it will be easier to access your cleanout if you have to remove the burner each time you sweep. WG

Status
Not open for further replies.