How To Clean Tough Toilet Stains?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So put you down for cleaning a toilet with stomach acid ?

Yep. Won't bother the porcelain, won't bother the septic system, won't bother the environment. It's an excellent choice.

Reactions: billb3
I have never tried it but supposedly Coca-Cola cleans stuff like that fairly well.

I just used a piece of 220 open drywall sandpaper. I kept it and the surfaces wet. Worked great. Time will tell if it scratched it causing easier staining. I was thinking of replacing the bowl, so what the hey.

Problem with that is now you've gotten down on the floor and sanded the crapper. I'd much rather pour a little muriatic acid on there, flush and be done with it, never having to stick my hands in the bowl.

But that's just me.

I've tried the liquid Rust Out on it in the past: those fumes were tough.
Every time I use the powder Iron Out, like in the water softener, I have to be real careful not to inhale any of that real fine powder.
I actually looked for muriatic acid at HD, but didn't see anything labeled that. I found some tile glaze cleaner, which may be close, but I'm not sure.
I actually bought a bottle of Naval Jelly, which I figured would be strong and perhaps adhere for a while to the affected area, but I never used it.
I saw a tip online about the drywall sandpaper, though about messing with the Naval Jelly, and said "what the heck", if it winds up I need a new toilet bowl, so be it, and then tried the sandpaper.
I imagine there'd still be some contortions required getting the marks out from under the rim where the wash holes are-how do you get the muiriatic acid to rest on there for a while for it to act?
Then too, I've read of people neutralizing the acid with baking soda, or something like that, to neutralize it before flushing. I'm on septic-I imagine the volume of liquid in there would dilute the acid, but would it affect the bio environment? I have no idea.
For future maintenance, I imagine an ordinary toilet bowl cleaner would keep things looking good.

I've used the pumice stone for quite a while with no ill effects. Only need to use it every few months. In between just a regular toilet brush cleans it right up.

My thinking was that there could be a stray piece of hard rock in the pumice stone, and the drywall sandpaper could conform to the shape of the bowl better.

Something mildly abrasive like vim should work

The works usually works pretty well, but I tried cleaning a toilet where the house had been empty for quite a while and the toilet had black stain where the water normally was. The works wouldn't touch it. A woman I know told me to use lemon juice and backing soda and let it soak a while. It looked like brand new after soaking about a half an hour. I was amazed ! I was almost ready to give up on it and BAM !

Make sure to never mix bleach with the works. Don't ask me how I Know. lol. Some real nasty off gassing, could probably kill you pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.