How to control a burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorehound

Oct 24, 2015
United States
I recently acquired a 25 pdvc that I am using in an uninsulated garage near the shores of Lake Erie. I am seeking advice on how to keep a consistent burn. The stove starts up nice, then flames up real well for about 5 minutes or so then burns down to just coals for about another minute to 3 before it flames up again. This is making it hard to warm the place up because the air around gets cooler before the next time it ignites. The bottom 3 settings are 6-4-1, and no matter what combination of heat and blower speed I set, I can't get the thing to just have a nice constant fire. Is this how the stoves work? Is it possible to obtain solid flame? Thanks for the help.

First, make sure the stove and vent pipe are clean. Top to bottom clean. All the holes in the burn pot and grate open and clean. Then fire it up set on medium-high. Reduce the combustion air until the fire gets lazy and smokey, then slowly feed in just enough air to wake up the fire but not so much as to blow a lot of sparks and fly-ash up and out of the burn pot. Observe the pellet feed rate. Does your fire starve for fuel, the burn-pot going empty before the auger kicks in and drops some more pellets into the pot? Or does the pot fill with pellets that do not ignite rapidly and maintain a near-constant fire in the burn pot? You need to balance combustion air with pellet feed rate to get a nice constant burn...

I have a pdvc 25 also. From the sounds of it. You do not have enough pellets coming into the pot. Push the low fuel feed button on the bottom and bring it down to 5. Then when the lights go out push the button up on heat range. The Englanders have 81 different combinations of heat seating nine in the heat range and 9 in the low burn feed.

Could also be that the stove used to be hooked up to a thermostat that it's no longer there. You can put a jumper in where the t-stat would go. Then you should get the normal adjustment from the numbers you see on the board. If there was a stat there before and none now the stove will only run a low fire.

That should be jumpered? There were 2 cut wires coming off the connector so I just unscrewed them. I didn't jumper the connection.
Open the stove goes to a on call mode with little fire. Closed the fire will go to the set feed. So try twisting back together:)

Glad it seems better. We are all here to try and help.. Stay warm, and enjoy the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.