How to "cruise"?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
How to "cruise"?

10 months seasoned ash started 15 mins crank up full throttle to 250, so...should I choke airflow to 1/4 and let it climb slowly to 400 or so? And get to 400 first then choke to lower burn rate?

Once the flames start taking off I watch them more than the temp. Once the wood is charred and the flames are going strong I turn my air down bit by bit. When cruising, my air control is closed ~75%. I close it to around 50% to start and then two or three more smaller closures as long as the secondaries are rolling well.

Reactions: excessads
I watch the flue temp more than the stove . . . once I'm burning in the Goldilocks Zone I typically begin to slowly close down the air a quarter mark at a time until I reach the point (typically 1/4 open or all the way "closed") where the secondaries are burning strongly and I'm in cruise mode. If the fire has been going for some time I can often close down the air all the way or partly open in one move vs. doing it incrementally.

Reactions: excessads
Thanks guys, now cruising at 475 with choke closed, really need to get an IR thermometer now to ensure not exceeding insert limit/overfiring

Where are you measuring the temperature?

Can you add your stove to the signature line in the account settings?

Century cw2500 will add to signature shortly. When the stove was warming up, I felt all around and the warmest spot was in the front next to the door. Just ordered IR thermometer to check operating temp.

Century says to put the thermometer on the cooktop. They also say do not exceed 840ºF there.

Stove top. They use the term cooktop in the manual.

I use a Condar probe thermometer . When the probe reaches the upper range in the orange , I start to back down the air in 1/4 increments . I'll back down another 1/4 within 5 minutes , if temps are still climbing . I don't want to exceed 600F, so I'll cut own the air faster if the stove top temp gets up to 500F.
How to "cruise"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Condar probe thermometer . When the probe reaches the upper range in the orange , I start to back down the air in 1/4 increments . I'll back down another 1/4 within 5 minutes , if temps are still climbing . I don't want to exceed 600F, so I'll cut own the air faster if the stove top temp gets up to 500F.
View attachment 187777
I'm confused easily..... Your talking stove top max 600... Are you not gauging with that thermometer flue temperature.? Maybe they mean the same but I would like a bit of clarification from the crew. I'm thinking stove top is a thermometer on the top of the steel top and flue is what you have pictured. Maybe they gauge very close? But that's why I'm asking.

The OP has an insert so stove top readings are the best in this case. But that is just a guideline. Once you are used to the way the wood in the stove burns you will find yourself often using the fire itself as a guide with the thermometer reading as a verification.

On mine, I use a candy thermometer in the air gap. The temp reading there is relative, since it depends on blower speed, but it gives me a good idea of whats going on globally. Very difficult to get consistent readings on the insert I think. Temps are wildly different around the door/front of stove dependent on how the stove is loaded.@begreen, where did you find the recommended temp? I've never seen it in the manual...

The OP has an insert so stove top readings are the best in this case. But that is just a guideline. Once you are used to the way the wood in the stove burns you will find yourself often using the fire itself as a guide with the thermometer reading as a verification.
Begreen thanks for confirming, previously either you or bholler mentioned 425 measuring on front door may actually be hotter inside. Second fire after when the temp was hovering around 100 I felt my way around the entire stove and next to the door was the hottest spot, I even check above the air gap where blower functions, it was cool to touch, but if the manual says measuring above stovetop don't exceed 899, I will prob operate around 400-500. Not gonna push it.

It says don't exceed 840F of the top I think. Our stove top has never been over 750F. Normal cruising temp is between 500-650F. You will be safe in that range and when temps drop down into the teens you will want the heat.

I don't think that we're comparing Apples to apples here. The temp at the top is largely dependant on the blower. I don't think it's indicative of fire box temps

True, but all one has to do is turn off the blower and take the temp, then turn it on and take it again. Our stove has about a 100-150F differential with the blower running. No stove is rated by firebox temps.

I'll experiment next time around with the IR gun. You'd have to keep the blower off long enough for the top to reach a steady state. Again though, where are you getting the recommended temps? Reread the manual, still don't see it in there...

Temperature is mentioned in the section warning about overfiring.

Yes, looks like they have rewritten some sections. Mine is an older copy.

How to "cruise"?

Well based on what I felt at a tolerable temperature, the stovetop is definitely cooler than front left panel next to the door, where I placed the gauge. Think I should be ok if I don't go above 600, I will confirm withe the IR tonight.

Cruising steady at 550 w seasoned oak and choke all the way closed . Nice secondary beautiful flame , thx, everyone!
How to "cruise"?

Good thing I m cautious and didn't overstuff the box. It would have been scary if I didn't close the choke at 400 knowing how dry the oaks are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.