How to drill a 6" hole in the chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rubantin

Hearth Supporter
Jan 27, 2007
My wife wants a wood stove on the main floor instead of the basement. Problem is, there is no hole there. It is a clay lined cinderblock chimney. The local rentall place has a hammer drill with a 5" core dry bit that they say should work. I was reading somewhere that the clay lining requires a core drill.... Does it matter if I use a hammer drill with a core bit? I don't wat to have touble with the clay lining...

I have done this before. I would use a core drill. Many hammer drills have a drill only without hammer setting and in that case they can be used as a core drill. I used an SDS Max hammer drill with an option to turn off the hammer. I cored 14" without issue.

The real question is why a 5" hole? Most flue pipe are 6" and I wouldn't just dump the flue into the hole and out the chimney. I'd make a 6.25 or 6.5 hole and run your pipe through the hole and connect it to a chimney liner. There's fittings you can use to attach a thimble type connector to a liner in the chimney. I'd use an insulated liner to to get the best efficiency and chimney health.