How to end a fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rougement

Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Mn, US
When you're pretty much down to coals like I am right now do you open up the air inlet control to give the fire max. oxygen? I'm thinking this will let it burn out without smoldering and giving off a lot of soot to dirty up the liner.

One or two shovel loads of snow should do it. If you need some, I've got it coming down over an inch an hour right now. 9" + right now, another 18" by Thurs.

Either or, Open it full up and let it burn out what it can, it wont contribute to any creosote. Or shut it down and let it die out and save the coals for the next time you start the fire.

When wood is in the charcoaling stage, it is my understanding that there's really nothing left in it that will contribute significantly to creosote formation. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the charcoaling stage is clean burning. Please correct me if I am wrong, guys. Thanks.

Rougement said:
When you're pretty much down to coals like I am right now do you open up the air inlet control to give the fire max.
Depends what you want to do. If you want to burn the coals and extract the small amount of energy left in them before reloading pull the into the airstream (normally at the front of the stove) and give it maximum air. On the other hand if you want to save the coals for another fire later in the day just gather them up with all the ash into a pile in the centre of the firebox. To start the next fire (up to 24 hours later) just rake the coals forward, open up the air and they will be glowing orange in a matter of seconds. (Burying the coals in ash is kind of like pressing the pause button.)

Beetle-Kill said:
One or two shovel loads of snow should do it. If you need some, I've got it coming down over an inch an hour right now. 9" + right now, another 18" by Thurs.

Now if only we could find a way to bottle some of that up to use next summer when it gets hot....

Sounds like you have some shoveling to do out there, big time. Hope you aren't getting that wind with it.

On the other hand if you want to save the coals for another fire later in the day just gather them up with all the ash into a pile in the centre of the firebox. To start the next fire (up to 24 hours later) just rake the coals forward, open up the air and they will be glowing orange in a matter of seconds. (Burying the coals in ash is kind of like pressing the pause button.)

Hmm, I will have to try that.

+1 to Afblue and Bokehman's comments.

If I have too many coals and want to make some room I open up the air to let them burn down a bit . . .otherwise I just let things run their course so I can get some hot coals for a later restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.