How to figure ideal temp diferential with pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaralluis

Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2005
I was wondering if theres some kind of method to determine what is the best temps differential to set a thermostat on a pellet stove?

I am using a programmable Tstat on my Accentra to kick @ 8am till 11:30am and then shut down to 16C the afternoon and kick in again @ 19:30 till 12:30 and shut down for the rest of the night.

I have the stove set @ 21C, my concern is that if I am using too much pellets to bring the temp from 16 to 21 for such a short amount of time to heat my open concept 1250Square feet house?
The stove works really hard for the first couple yours to raise the temp.
I was wondering if 16 is probably too low and should maybe set the tstat at a higher temp?

Wow 16C is a bit cold for me, and the pets, but to each is own. I swing between 20 - 23 C. Not much of a problem here. I do set it to start warming at 5am for a 5:30-6am wake up time, then back down at 7:30am untill 3:30pm for home arrival. I do not shut down at night, I just set the themo back to 20, same when I leave. If I read your post correctly, you may be getting down below 16 at night. (stove off?). Does your stove kick down to low once you have reached your desired temp, or just shut off? I take it from the C your in Canada? Day/night outside temp could be a big factor for you. Down here in the mid-atlantic it is not nearly as big an issue.

I gotta get me a programable thermostat this weekend...not sure how to hiik it up but i think i can figure it out.

Yeah I am in Canada.
The temps do get down to 17 at night and its getting colder.
I am thinking on a pellet usage perspective, what setting would be the most cost effective.

Amaralluis said:
Yeah I am in Canada.
The temps do get down to 17 at night and its getting colder.
I am thinking on a pellet usage perspective, what setting would be the most cost effective.

That all depends on a ton of factors. How big of an area are you heating? Are you useing any other form of heat to heat your house?If you keep turning off and on and stoves takes 30-50 min to heat your area verytime you do that it is no different then having your thermostat for your house heating system kick on and off different times of the day at different settings. I still feel steady output will save in the long run then trying to force feed a room at different times of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.