How to get a level, square, straight stack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I've tried every thing, Brought out all my square & straight and leveling tools.
Still can't get them as square, straight & level as Zap & Backewoods S.
Guess I need to buy a laser & a transit. LOL :)

100_7886.JPG

Nice.... ;)

Dave, you are among the best here. You, Zap, PapDave, Backwoods, and the 50 others that still make my stacks look amateur. Keep the pics coming. I love'em....

BTW- How is the 3 Iron helping? Was this used in junction with the level and speed square? LOL. Whatever you used it for, it works :)

Dave, sell the clubs. Its the constant one-way rotation of the golf swing that is throwing off your stacks. : )

By the way, do you guys vacuum your stacks? Clean wood man.

Reactions: Realstone
If I stacked my wood flush in the front the stacks would probably fall over backwards! Since most of my wood is scrounged from tree companys the rounds are anywhere from 12" to 26".

Others (like me) are not worthy........:(

Scotty - I have one stack that is leaning so hard that the only explanation is lack of gravity in that area. These perfect stacks amaze me.

Reactions: ScotO
my problem is that I stack them perfectly, but then one side dries out faster and it starts to leaning. That west side gets the wind and the hot afternoon sun!

No kidding, I went from decent never fall stacks with real racks made to Zap style T-Post stacks due to the volume and my not perfect splits from scrounging just don't cut it with perfection and my T-post stacks lean all over the place after a few months drying time. Which by the way convinces me that you wood harvesters leave all the Y's and other non perfect rounds in the woods, hell why split the uglys when you have easy access to perfect easy split rounds that lead to perfect stacks.

Nice.... ;)

Dave, you are among the best here. You, Zap, PapDave, Backwoods, ...

I'm not a member of their "Secret Society"
Remember when Backwoods S went & visited Zap, All of a sudden Zaps stacks were perfect.:
They have a secret handshake & pass word & membership comes with wood stacking laser that takes special glasses to see.
Secret meetings annually.
They send out trolls & gremlins to mess up those who stack perfect but are not members.
Conspiracy I tell you!

BTW- How is the 3 Iron helping? Was this used in junction with the level and speed square? LOL. Whatever you used it for, it works :)

How the 3 iron helps? You tell me, I'm trying to figure it out myself.
I think you gave me a clue though, I used a 4 iron & it didn't work. Are you a memeber & know the secrets ? ? ? ?
What's the secret pass word!

Despite what a couple here think, my stacks aren't perfect, and I do use the y's and such.
.depending on my mood.:cool:

Another member. I knew it.
Using secret coded language.
Playing down thier perfection.
Classic clues to membership to the secret "Perfect wood stack club"
Are you a Mason too?

Reactions: Lewiston
Dave, sell the clubs. Its the constant one-way rotation of the golf swing that is throwing off your stacks. : )
You must be giving a secret clue. Sell the club eh?. Must mean I'm on the right track & you are trying to steer me away form learning the secrets.
One way rotation, ?

By the way, do you guys vacuum your stacks? Clean wood man.
That's what I used the broom is for, Now you gave away another secret, : "use a vacuum".
Thanks

Dave, chain saw mills are not just for furniture.

Actually dave, your stacks are straighter than mine. I've seen mine.......they aren't straight.
I'm in process of moving all the south posts farther from the original row. All those posts should be much closer to being inline. Maybe the stacks will be too.:p
I only try to keep mine like I do so that they don't fall over.
I do enough firewood moving and stacking. Doing more because I got a bit lazy just doesn't work for me.
There's the secret code.;) Is the transit on the other end?==c

Dave, chain saw mills are not just for furniture.

:eek: That's how the do it? Nice straight square splits, Ah Ha!
I know the 4 iron didn't help mine be strait & square. But made "slicing it" easier LOL :)

Actually dave, your stacks are straighter than mine.

There's the secret code.;) Is the transit on the other end?==c

More propaganda. Your stack are the gold standard.

Transit is on the Xmas list :)

I've tried every thing, Brought out all my square & straight and leveling tools.
Still can't get them as square, straight & level as Zap & Backewoods S.
Guess I need to buy a laser & a transit. LOL :)

You finally got it Dave. It is the transit that is the key tool.

Also, like Dave, I stack almost everything in the stacks. I even have several places where there are some 6" length and most of the wood we try to cut around 16". No secret at all. Just remember to fill in the holes if possible. I never try to stack really tight simply because stacking more loose allows better air circulation. Naturally the stacks will change shape a bit over time. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a couple pictures of some older stacks to see if we can compare them.

I just close one eye and mine look as perfect as the " secret society of anal wood stackers" :). You know who you are!!!!!

When I stack I make them lean on purpose. Then I make the next one lean against the first. No one will ever call them pretty (hence no pics) but they don't fall.

Reactions: PapaDave
Hah! Those stacks look great, why the worry? You know a good tip is to use a tablesaw for cutting nice square pieces for your ends, then have your radial arm saw with a spacer block so you can then cut all your wood to the same length after it is split... Right? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.