How to get the most out of the least

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kempoguy

Nov 28, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi
I'm new to wood burning and just installed a pacific energy super insert into my fireplace and I ran a full 6" flexiliner it's length is 22'. So far the stove is sweet! I just want to know best way to get the most heat out of the least wood! The more my oil furnace is off the better.
The insert is located in the basement of a typical 2200 sq ft split level. I run the stove with damper open to get stove up to temp with a strong bed of coals and add wood as necessary but I typically damp it down about 1/2 to 2/3 down once I have a nice 4" bed of coals. Over the last 2 days the stove has been going. I damp it all way down before I hit the hay with a full load. I have the blower on high,and for now until I get a couple of wLl mounted corner fans I have a freestanding fan at the end of the room pointed up stairway to rest of house upstairs and a table fan pointing down hallway to bedrooms. The house has been 68 degrees pretty consistently but the thermostat is in the upstairs hallway close to the stairs. The bedrooms are obviously the coldest area as they are furthest from stove. Is this about what I can expect and is using ~ 15 pieces of 16" hardwood a day a fair amount of wood with the results I'm getting this far. Thank you

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.