How to know if my cat is working/needs to be replaced?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I cleaned my cat recently and a small part of it looks somewhat warped/misshapen. The outer steel rim/edge was fine. Just the honeycomb part was a little different.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Got a picture? The best way to know if your cat is still good is to look for smoke out your chimney. Another good sign is lower stove temps than usual.

Got a picture? The best way to know if your cat is still good is to look for smoke out your chimney. Another good sign is lower stove temps than usual.

Nope, no smoke and the temps are actually higher this season than last on the same lowest setting.

But mine can run with or without the cat so I'm not sure if that matters.

Thanks

-Emt1581

You shouldn't have to worry unless the cat starts to crumble or get clogged.

Well having just replaced mine this year...I can tell you what caused me to do it: it took a long time for the cat to take off. Sometimes it would take 45 minutes to get going...stove manufacture stated 20 minutes max. When I finally did get to inspect the cat (Buck 91 did not have the best way to inspect - though new set up is much easier) I had to replace a bunch of parts and therefore decided to order a new cat since I believe it was pushing about 20 years in age. I have posted pics where it was damaged and I think that was the main reason it was taking so long to light off. That said...it was well past its life expectancy...and the first few years we had it, it operated just fine (temps high and no smoke). For me I figured it was worth replacing since I had the stove completely broken down and I had to replace the cast housing it sits in and getting it out would have been a nightmare trying to save it...

I can say, I lit if yesterday and it was up and running within 20 minutes. With all the parts I replaced, stove s running much better and it is cranking out heat as I type.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Glad you got that fixed. You'll really appreciate that come winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.