How to maximize heat from a Woodstock Soapstone Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
Last night with a new, full load of nice hard wood which I had charred up pretty nicely and then shut the air down to near my minimum for an overnight burn, I hit about 700 on my stove top, hotest I've seen it. It was about 14 outside with 5-10 mph winds. There was no flame, (not unusual for that stage of a burn) and the thermometer is right over the combustor which was glowing brightly. While that seems like a lot of heat output, I'm not convinced that damped down, combustor glowing state is relly the best way to maximize the stove's heat output. It might maximize efficiency but not shear heat production in a given measure of time. I suspect that is accomplished with more air and good flame though my stove top then will read "only" 500-550. I'm curious what other Woodstock stove operator's feel gives you maximum room heating output as opposed to greatest efficiency.

Hi,

On a day with outside temp 30-38 F., I can get 8 hours of usable heat with air intake set at just above 1. I set it there after the combuster is engaged at 250 surface temp. Usable heat for me is house temp(2000 Sq. ft.) max 71 F., down to 68 at end of 8 hours. For yesterday, 1-20-08 we had low of 19, high of 33 with light winds, I set it at the following: after combuster engaged, I set air on 2, getting surface temp to 550, then decreasing to 1 or a little below. I am only home at night and weekends, so this weekend was the first time I was in all weekend to watch/experiment with it. This is my first full season burning 24/7, so still learning how to get the most out of the wood and keep the house warm for extended periods. Wood I am burning is red and white oak, seasonsed a little over a year.

I have had my stove up to 700 a few times which Woodstock states is the max. It puts out some serious heat over 600 but I also notice there is more heat going up the flue and you go through more fuel the hotter the stove top. Sometimes I need to run it that hot in the mornings after a overnight burn to get my house (1800sq ft) back up to desired temp of >70. Most of the time I like to run my stove with a full load just under #1 and it gives me a good long burn maxing out at about 600, then gradually dropping down to 300 after 8 hours or so. I think this setting seems to give me the best efficiency and overall heat output.

Status
Not open for further replies.