1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How To Move a Boulder

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by velvetfoot, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Or, maybe it's a big rock.
    Looking for suggestions, links, etc, to cheaply move a rock to the front of the driveway for decorative purposes.

I've seen these:
    -build a tripod, hoist with block and tackle, place on steel rollers over wood board
    -tip over onto plywood, skid it out
    -tip over onto steel truck hood, skid it out
    -rent a machine
    -hire a guy

Things I currently have are a mattock, prybar, hitch on back of a car,

I've read rock is about 6000 lbs per m3-not sure what volume I'm looking at-maybe a total of 1 m3.

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. keyman512us

keyman512us Member

Loc:
    North Worc. CTY MA
    Velvet...
    Speaking from experience...personally, I like the truck hood the best. Cut a couple holes in it, run a chain through, throw it on the trailer hitch...WHALALA!!!

Not an everyday occurence...but one time I had to move a boulder for a friend, that the Bobcat just couldn't lift... No way was I giving up on it!!! He dragged out an old hood. The boulder was so heavy the bobcat dragged it 6-8 feet at a time and then stopped. "Took a few tugs" but we did it...although the 300' trip took it's toll on the hood...it "looked like a crumpled up dollar bill" after we got done with it! lol ;)
  3. keyman512us

keyman512us Member

Loc:
    North Worc. CTY MA
    Err Ummm...After reading your post... (depending on size of boulder)Might want to think about renting a bobcat.

Checklist: Fairly skilled operator (or rent the machine for the day or weekend and be "patient")bobcat rental(fairly new 753 or bigger...take the insurance option...lol), truck hood, logging chain, and asprin...lol
  4. kevinmoelk

kevinmoelk New Member

Loc:
    Wapato WA, in the Yakima Valley of Central WA
    Velvet, do you have a picture of said boulder? How far do you have to move this thing? I personally would build a skid and move it around with a tractor, or truck with low gearing.

-Kevin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.