How To Move a Boulder

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Or, maybe it's a big rock.
Looking for suggestions, links, etc, to cheaply move a rock to the front of the driveway for decorative purposes.

I've seen these:
-build a tripod, hoist with block and tackle, place on steel rollers over wood board
-tip over onto plywood, skid it out
-tip over onto steel truck hood, skid it out
-rent a machine
-hire a guy

Things I currently have are a mattock, prybar, hitch on back of a car,

I've read rock is about 6000 lbs per m3-not sure what volume I'm looking at-maybe a total of 1 m3.

Thanks.

Velvet...
Speaking from experience...personally, I like the truck hood the best. Cut a couple holes in it, run a chain through, throw it on the trailer hitch...WHALALA!!!

Not an everyday occurence...but one time I had to move a boulder for a friend, that the Bobcat just couldn't lift... No way was I giving up on it!!! He dragged out an old hood. The boulder was so heavy the bobcat dragged it 6-8 feet at a time and then stopped. "Took a few tugs" but we did it...although the 300' trip took it's toll on the hood...it "looked like a crumpled up dollar bill" after we got done with it! lol ;)

Err Ummm...After reading your post... (depending on size of boulder)Might want to think about renting a bobcat.

Checklist: Fairly skilled operator (or rent the machine for the day or weekend and be "patient")bobcat rental(fairly new 753 or bigger...take the insurance option...lol), truck hood, logging chain, and asprin...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.