How to plug gap around flue pipe.. any suggestions please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KELL45

Sep 12, 2022
England
Afternoon/Morning all… I’ve attached a few pics basically the fire cement is just constantly falling out of the gap?? I was thinking silicon maybe or tape if some sort to plug the gap? Has anyone used a tried and tested product I’m in the UK thank you

9C283476-15EA-4149-A6B8-BCD9AEE31E9D.jpeg 5068A353-9452-43BD-A2D0-A600BBAD67F1.jpeg 6F0E87FA-DCFA-413B-A7B4-AA089711DF95.jpeg

The black smoke pipe should be terminated on the inside of the room, class a pipe beyond that or insulated liner

This looks to be a fireplace insert stove?

Reactions: KELL45
Is it just me, or does that look like a massive fire hazard? Is that cement board it's going through? It looks like there was a collar siliconed on there at one point.

Is it just me, or does that look like a massive fire hazard? Is that cement board it's going through? It looks like there was a collar siliconed on there at one point.
It was fitted by a Hetas reg installer. That’s fireboard it’s going through.

Reactions: RomanW
We don't know what the code requirements are in the UK.
In the US, stove pipe cannot go through any wall or ceiling; there has to be a stove-pipe to (class A) chimney transition at such penetrations. This is a fire safety based code requirement here.

As fire safety does not care about location, there are some safety concerns here, even if the install might techincally be legal in the UK (which we don't know is the case).

So rather than patching the hole (indeed with something that is more flexible than cement), the advice is to correct what amounts to be a mistake in the view from this side of the pond.

Reactions: RomanW
I'd check stovepipe manufacturers and see if you can find a collar that will cover the space. Even if you can't remove the pipe you should be able to cut the collar and slip it around and place the cut at the back then screw the collar to the fiberboard.

Reactions: RomanW and KELL45
There should be trim rings available in the UK. Cement will always fall out because the stovepipe is expanding and contracting with heating and cooling.

Reactions: KELL45 and RomanW