How to remove spring handles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 18, 2009
Central NJ
Does anyone know how to get these things off without screwing them up. They screw right on but when you try to unscrew them they tighten. I know I can prolly grab the inside edge with a vice-grip and screw it off but that will likely scratch the heck out of brass spring. I want to remove them so I can remove the grill covering the fans on my insert. I would like to vacuum under there and see if there is any way to lubricate the fans.
In the picture I had to put the fireplace glove behind it because I kept getting too much glare.

Attachments

• IM001021.jpg
    IM001021.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 564
The key for me was vice grips and a piece of cloth. Ideally you want the vice grips to grab the metal rod and hook on the last winding of the spring. Then when you twist the grips, the spring handle is loosened and unscrewed at the same time. Cloth just keeps everything from getting scratched. Trying to unscrew the spring handle from the handle end is actually tightening the spring and doesn't work as you say.

Just curious, but why are you taking off a perfectly good handle? Is it on your brothers stove and you want to put it on yours? :bug:

Can you slide the grill out far enough to do the cleaning using a flexible line on a shop vac?

Can't imagine a maker preventing access, unless you are trying to avoid sliding the stove out and doing it properly. It would be a good opportunity to open the squirell cages and clean the fan blades, especially on the exhaust blower.

It should screw off the same way it screws on. Shoot it with just a few drips of WD40 turn it the same direction you turn it to put it on but when it begins to loosen and move pull it off it may take a couple of turns to get it off but when it loosens it will go whichever way you make it whether on or off.

twist in the direction that screws them on but pull hard against them as you do so , this will allow them to "hop" over the slight "threads" they make in the metal from the expansion of the handle while screwing inward. be forwarned , you need strong hands to do this

littlesmokey said:
Just curious, but why are you taking off a perfectly good handle? Is it on your brothers stove and you want to put it on yours? :bug:

Can you slide the grill out far enough to do the cleaning using a flexible line on a shop vac?

Can't imagine a maker preventing access, unless you are trying to avoid sliding the stove out and doing it properly. It would be a good opportunity to open the squirell cages and clean the fan blades, especially on the exhaust blower.

I cannot get to the fans, or the underside of the stove because there is a grill there that will not slide over the handles. I get in there with a brush and thin vacuum attachment but I want to get to the fans. The fans are noisy and I want to see if I can improve them.

Attachments

• IM001022.jpg
    IM001022.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 403
Status
Not open for further replies.