1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How to Replace Gen. Shut Off Valve Plugged into Plastic Gas Tank?

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by velvetfoot, Jul 26, 2013.

1. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I started a generator yesterday and the shut off valve leaked, externally. The plastic valve, is somehow plugged into the bottom of the plastic gas tank. Does anyone have any experience in replacing it? First I'd have to find one of course.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Can't help you with the replacement, but one of mine leaks a bit if it's been shut off a while. It soon stops leaking, as if the seal dried out, then expanded when the gas hit it. Yours just might, too.
  3. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I just replaced one of that type on a riding mower. It was an inexpensive item at a local tractor supply store. pops out and pops back in if I recall.
  4. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

I'm going to bet it looks like this:

[​IMG]

This is the parts diagram from my Craftsman/Generac 4200W. The valve (47) plugs into the rubber grommet (48) which plugs into the hole in the bottom of the tank. The annoying thing about this is that vibration eventually wears a hole in the rubber grommet causing a leak, which is likely the problem with yours. In order to get the valve or the grommet, Sears makes you order them as a set for about $15.
    MasterMech likes this.
  5. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    thanks guys
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Screw Sears then. You should get out of any small engine shop with the grommet and valve for about $5.
  7. velvetfoot

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Thanks. The leak does appear to come from the valve but slowed. It's not exactly in a great spot to have a gas leak though, then what is. I have to pull it out I guess. It's a backup to another generator. Darn ethanol, I guess.