How to tell if an 8" insulated liner will fit in my chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jboudreau

Hearth Supporter
Sep 8, 2010
Central Ma
Hi guys, I came across a smoking deal on a buck 91 insert. I am trying to help heat a 3300 sq ft home, so the bigger the better.

Well this takes an 8" liner..but how do I know if this will fit in my chimney. The house was built in 1995. I assume the damper and the metal that holds it all in needs to come out..but what about the rest of the way?

Also how much room does one need to have to be able to install the liner onto the stove. Looking at the min required opening specs of the insert..I have like a inch and half room on the height over the recommend min dimensions. I have no idea if its even possible with only 1 1/2 inchs to hook up the liner to the insert. unless it can be somehow hooked up first, then slide back into the fireplace?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to jump on the insert deal, but just want to make darn sure it will fit in my opening.

I got a member from this site who hopefully will be installing the liner and the insert for me (thanks Matt!) , but like I said I want to make sure it will fit before ordering.

Thanks

Jay

You will either have to look up thru the damper & GUESS at the size of your fireplace flue,
or go up on the roof & measure it - which would be wise.
While you're measuring the cross-section & calculating the area you can drop
a tape to the floor of the firebox to get the height measurement as well.
Depending on what your measurements are, you may have to ovalize all or part of your liner,
and you may hafta insulate after the liner is installed..
If you can find the install manual & can see how the liner attaches to the top of the insert,
that should give you an idea as to whether or not the install be doable.
If it gets fastened to the TOP of the insert, you may be screwed - pun not intended -
but some inserts allow you to make attachments in the flue collar which could help
in instances where clearances are tight.
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.