How to tell if wood is wet...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

76ER

Nov 30, 2007
Southern Ontario
Hello all!...I have been burning 24/7 since November...I recently discovered a method to determine how wet my wood is...it was about 4 a.m. and I got up to load the stove...half asleep I picked up a pretty good size of wood off of my hearth...and went to put it into the stove...not having a good grasp of the piece of wood I dropped it straight onto my big toe...SMASH...after rolling around on the floor for about 5 mins...I picked up that piece again..wow..this thing weighs a ton...it sure was wet..not sure how I missed that bringing it in from outside..but the nail on my big toe alerted me to a potential problem had I put that in my stove....gonna lose the nail...

Hi, Sorry about your toe. I learned 27 years ago not to go near wood without shoes. I'll bet you will wear shoes from now on, dry wood or wet.

Jim

Hate that. Good time to grab an ax or maul and go split some wood. Show that wood who is boss! lol Hope it heals fast as I know that hurts.

Yeah, thats a great idea! I think I will patent my idea of marketing steel toe slippers..!

I hate it when that happens 76ER...guess you're lucky you didn't break the toe. anyway sorry to hear about that...just the thought eeeeek!

Funny, I remember working for a firewood dealer summers in high school .He never wore shoes.he used to like to sit on a block while he was running the vertical splitter . Being that we were feeding him the blocks of wood it was "fun" to to try to drop the wood on his toes .Years of going shoeless must have toughened up his feet because we hardly ever could even get an ow out of him even though the would was green.

Hey, my boys carry the firewood all the time with bare feet. They don't need to go in the snow, so they just endure the cold concrete floor for a few moments. I have warned them many times about what will happen if they drop one of those logs on their toes, but they continue to choose their own way.

Some learn the easy way, some have to learn the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.