How to trick your wife into letting you get a BIG woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sksmass

Dec 21, 2009
Western MA
This actually worked for me. Sneaky but effective.

I have been planning to install a stove in our living room and my wife is not too enthusiastic about giving up so much floor space. I had my sights set on the big-boy Equinox, a large stove by any measure. But I did not think she'd go for it. So, I built two cardboard mock-ups the size of two "stoves." I built one to the dimensions of the Equinox and the second one I just built a few inches bigger in every dimension. I called this faux-stove the "Blaze King 8000." I was just trying to think of the biggest bad-ass sounding name for a woodstove I could, no matter that it doesn't exist (no offense to Blaze King owners). I know my wife won't bother to research it.

So, I put both mock-ups in the living room and I tell her, "Hun, I really want this big one, the Blaze King 8000. Oh, and this is something called the Equinox." She looks at them and says, "no way you are getting that Blaze King thing, you'll have to get the Equinox.

Perfect. I love it when a plan comes together.

Decided against the Fireview? Did you tell her that the Equinox comes equipped with 6 hefty linebackers?

BeGreen said:
Decided against the Fireview? Did you tell her that the Equinox comes equipped with 6 hefty linebackers?

Good memory! Ultimately I did decide on the even smaller Fireview. But this mock-up was a month or so ago when I was still leaning towards the Equinox. Since then I decided to go with the more affordable but smaller FV. If the FV turns out not to throw enough heat I will move it to the basement and get an Equinox in a couple of years. Hopefully by then Woodstock will be out with their larger firebox model.

My wife didn't want a big stove either. She had all sorts of assumptions and concerns, both aesthetic and concerns about overheating the house. I told her that if she still felt that way after one season, we would change stoves (again). We're getting ready for season 2.5 with a cold winter predicted for the northwest. Not a word from the little lady. She likes the stove just fine now. It would be prettier in blue-black enamel, but come winter all you see is the nice fire and warmth coming from the stove. And that looks beautiful.

Put any size cardboard mockup there you need to get her to buy into the concept. Destroy the mockup, get the stove you want and install it. She'll say, "Oh, honey, it's perfect, just like you showed me. You're so clever!" %-P Rick

*barf*

;-)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
*barf*

;-)

Yeah, really. My wife would never fall for it, either. :-/ Rick

ETA: And if I tried something like that, her response would be just a bit different than that in my hypothetical scenario above.

I have no doubt it would, Rick :)

I just yelled up the stairs "Hey! Come look at our new stove.".

fossil said:
Put any size cardboard mockup there you need to get her to buy into the concept. Destroy the mockup, get the stove you want and install it. She'll say, "Oh, honey, it's perfect, just like you showed me. You're so clever!" %-P Rick

Uh huh, and then you woke up. :lol:
Maybe you saw this on an episode of Ozzie and Harriet?

BrotherBart said:

That'd be fine with me :)

I mean, really, come one, do you want to spend a ton on oil/gas/electric, or work alittle and not need a gym (and save the gym membership $$$'s) ?

Says she who's never had a manicure, ever %-P

I had been eyeballing a new furnace for a couple of years. Everytime we went to the store I wanted it and she said NO! Well a couple of years later I bought a new rear tine tiller which was on sale. We started walking up to the register and she said well are you gonna get it? I looked at her and said we had it and she said no the furnace! Of course I couldn't tell her no, so we bought it and a week later I picked it up. I never in a million years thought it would happen! Maybe me not shutting up about it finally made her give in. :)

HouseCrusher said:
She doesn't look at this website does she?

I hope she does :p

I've learned that it's easier to say "I'm sorry" than to ask for permission.

woodjack said:

I've apparently learned from some very different teachers. And I'm OK with that. I'd much prefer that all the stakeholders be involved from the get-go and agree every step of the way. No surprises = no half-assed apologies. :coolsmile: Rick

ETA: Besides, in our household, it's all "our money", regardless of the source.

fossil said:
woodjack said:

I've apparently learned from some very different teachers. And I'm OK with that. I'd much prefer that all the stakeholders be involved from the get-go and agree every step of the way. No surprises = no half-assed apologies. :coolsmile: Rick

I'm with you on this one . . . all the way around Fossil . . . besides the one time I decided to surprise her with a big ticket gift I actually got sick to my stomach until I was able to return it . . . now if a purchase is over $100 we both talk it over with each other since she truly is my partner, my equal and my best friend . . . and just like you all the money is our money -- no his or her accounts.

That said, my wife knows me and trusts me to make the right decision . . . she knows I research things to death and knew that the stove I wanted to buy would fit our needs . . . all she wanted to know was how much space it would take out of the living room once the hearth was down and at the time she felt it would be a good idea to go with a simple and less expensive matte black stove . . . and I had no problems with that . . . although in retrospect I might have suggested the blue black enamel if I had realized how tough it holds up.

This really doesn't apply here, but I had my wife pay the heating bill for a seaon before I bought my Hearth Stone. I could had bought any thing I wanted to after that!

BrotherBart said:

+1 but I would hope she didnt notice!

firefighterjake said:
fossil said:
woodjack said:

I'm with you on this one . . . all the way around Fossil . . . besides the one time I decided to surprise her with a big ticket gift I actually got sick to my stomach until I was able to return it . . . now if a purchase is over $100 we both talk it over with each other since she truly is my partner, my equal and my best friend . . . and just like you all the money is our money -- no his or her accounts.

That said, my wife knows me and trusts me to make the right decision . . . she knows I research things to death and knew that the stove I wanted to buy would fit our needs . . . all she wanted to know was how much space it would take out of the living room once the hearth was down and at the time she felt it would be a good idea to go with a simple and less expensive matte black stove . . . and I had no problems with that . . . although in retrospect I might have suggested the blue black enamel if I had realized how tough it holds up.

My statement was sarcastic. I'm all for being a great guy and a communicative, respectful, generous partner, but seriously, I just don't get all this asking for permission stuff - for anything over $100. Please tell me you're joking. I'm in Bro Bart's camp on this one. Bring it home and see the smile on her face.

woodjack said:
firefighterjake said:
fossil said:
woodjack said:

My statement was sarcastic. I'm all for being a great guy and a communicative, respectful, generous partner, but seriously, I just don't get all this asking for permission stuff - for anything over $100. Please tell me you're joking. I'm in Bro Bart's camp on this one. Bring it home and see the smile on her face.

Nope . . . I'm serious . . . we're partners in this together and talk about every purchase over $100 . . . then again we try to live frugally . . . and as for "asking permission" it isn't really so much a "permission" deal as it is talking about the item and being respectful of each other's needs and wants and of course the bottomline in terms of how much money we have in checking . . . the way I figure it a lot of fights (and divorces) occur when couples argue over money and purchases . . . this isn't an issue in our house-hold . . . this works for us . . . it may not work for others . . . which is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.