How to Use a wood fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

notoms

Nov 16, 2007
Oregon
We just moved into our first home, it's mid-century and I assume the wood fireplace insert is just as old. I've never had any experience using them and I'm afraid of causing any fires. Basically I just need some tips on how to use this insert safely. There's also a wire sticking out from the insert with a knob on it with the labels OFF, HI and LO. It plugs into an electrical socket. Is this some kind of thermostat?

Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated since I'm completely clueless about all this.

Attachments

• Fireplace insert.JPG
    Fireplace insert.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 438
  • Thermostat.JPG
    Thermostat.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 412
That looks like a Lopi and the wire is for a thermostatically controlled blower. You might want to have a local chimney sweep come out and clean and inspect. they can also give you advice on using it safely.

George

I think it wise of you to ask questions first before venturing into un -chartered waters. I agree it looks like a lopi and may not be all that old

get your chimney and stove inspected and checked out then supply us with the inspections report Another suggestion, is to check with your town's inspection Dept. See if they have info on the stove and a report of permits and inspection compliance. Your insurance company will want proof at some time. Perhaps they might do an initial inspection on your stove, possibly the fire dept does the inspections

notoms said:
Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated since I'm completely clueless about all this.

The control is for the blower, it sets the fan speed.

More importantly, tell me... Is there any glass in the door of this stove? Maybe it's super clean or just new. Just wondering.

Is it just me, or does that stove look like it's been SEVERELY over fired in the past? I'm looking at all the white patches on the top. Also seems to have an awful lot of rust on it for something that is inside a house...

Gooserider

[
i]More importantly, tell me... Is there any glass in the door of this stove? Maybe it's super clean or just new. Just wondering[/i].
[/quote]

The previous owner had just replaced the glass, which was cracked for some reason.

WarmGuy said:
We live by the ocean, and in this environment things rust even indoors.

Could be that, but it still looks like an awful lot of discoloration on that stove top, and also on the metal above the stove - looks like a definite potential over fire to me. Alternatively there might be a problem with the baffles or insulation under the top that is allowing non-uniform temps. Not saying the stove is definitely unsafe or a problem, but it looks to me like more of a "needs a good checkup" stove than many I've seen.

Gooserider

If you could get a shot of the interior of the stove, shooting from a low angle upward, that would help. I'd like to see what shape the baffle is in (or if there is even a baffle in there).

Status
Not open for further replies.