1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

how u doing on next years pile?????

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by argus66, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argus66

argus66 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central coastal nj
    do to the fact 80% of wood sellers are rip off artists, back in nov. i bought a splitter and got going on my own. anyway i'm 4 cords toward next yr which is pretty good cause i use about 6 cords for winter. i just got at least another cord and a half of oak off craigs list for free. what does everyone else have????

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Our was done a couple of years ago. You're fortunate to be able to knock that chore out now when the weather is cool.
  3. Tree farmer

Tree farmer New Member

Loc:
    Central NH
    Nothing worked up yet but I have 5 cords log length to truck home, 7-8 cords coming in a week on a truck and 3 cords around the house. Guess I better get busy buzzing.
  4. argus66

argus66 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central coastal nj
    ya no way i wanna mess around with this when its 90 outside. plus gotta start seasoning asap.
  5. spoon059

spoon059 New Member

Loc:
    DC Metro
    Yea, I have been trying to score free wood off Craigslist too. I have almost a cord of oak split for next year, have about half a cord to split and stack of oak. Whats left to split and stack is VERY green and a bear to split, especially cause its frozen solid right now. This year I didn't burn full time, but I'd like to get enough wood seasoned that I can be a full time burner next year. Since October we have gone through about 125 gallons of oil, granted the boiler supplies domestic hot water too, but I'd like to use less next year. This is our first year in the house, so I have nothing to compare it too.
  6. kenny chaos

kenny chaos Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,ny
    how u doing on next years pile?????

What's a "next years pile?"
  7. Summertime

Summertime New Member

Loc:
    Western, Ct.
    I already have the next two years worth split and stacked, I would like to build a wood shed instead of using tarps though.
  8. argus66

argus66 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central coastal nj
    i only burn full time when its below 30 degrees outside plus im still a little leery leaving the fire when i go to work all day. but i keep the pipe clean so no big worries
  9. argus66

argus66 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central coastal nj
    i hate these tarps im already planning wood shed.
  10. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I think I have it all gathered. It's in a big pile of splits in my back yard, and I have a good amount still unsplit at my father and grandfather's houses. The ice storm was kind to me, but I will not know how much I have until I have it all split and stacked.

Total is one oak and most of one maple (split already and in a pile.) 2 maples and 2 pine trees at my father's house. One big maple has not been taken down yet, but the neighbor says he wants to. And assorted maple branches at my grandfather's house.

Matt
  11. fespo

fespo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    South West burbs of Chicago
    Im good for 2 years right now, split and stacked. Working on year 3 once the snow melts. I have more wood then room. All of my wood is store at my dads place, then I truck it over to my place some 25 miles each way. Oh well, that's the best I can do for now.
  12. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I've got all of next year's wood cut and split with most of it stacked.
  13. stejus

stejus Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    Here's two of the four cords for next year. I have another cord I'm cutting now and ordering 1 more cord once this pile is finished. Fortunatly I got this load delivered before the 20" of snow came. :)

Attached Files:

14. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    What do I have? I have a problem with ludicrous, unsubstantiated declarative statements such as, "...the fact that 80% of wood sellers are rip off artists...". Where's your data? That's just a dumb thing to say, IMO. Rick
  15. argus66

argus66 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central coastal nj
    i said 80% not 100 % look up old posts under title a real cord for x mass and see all the data u need. it stems form a seller ripping people off and winding up with $4000 fine losing his standing with better business bureau and possible jail time all for selling less then a cord of wood.
  16. kenny chaos

kenny chaos Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rochester,ny

But these are real men who have all of next years done, or more, and stacked!
    I'm so impressed with all these declarations, even if they're true that, well, nevermind. It does nothing for me.
    I think some of these guys need a dating forum.
  17. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I have next year's wood all stacked. I see ads for seasoned firewood, but alot of it is in very large mounds from the conveyor. Does that wood dry like that???
  18. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    I'm way ahead of all of you,,, I already started burning "next years" pile. ;)

Seriously, if I collect all my wood by the end of next June I'll be months ahead of what I was this year.
  19. bsruther

bsruther Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky
    I have nothing cut or split yet, but everything that I will split has been dead and down for a year. I'll prolly start splitting in march.
    I'll just throw it in a big pile next to where I'm building the shed. I hate stacking twice and I've done that way too many times.
  20. Pagey

Pagey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Middle TN
    74% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :)

I have just over 2 cords put up, see my pics in the work area/next year's wood thread.
  21. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    I've got between 3 and 4 cords cut, split and stacked in my backup piles, and probably another cord or two on the ground, cut to rounds but not split - that is probably most of next years stack, but won't know for sure until the end of the season when I see what I've burned for this year out of the 7.5 cords in the sheds. I'm guessing that will be most of the pile needed, but that just means I have the time to start work on the 2010-2011 pile. Can't be too many years out...

Gooserider
  22. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Next years pile is in the woodshed and the year after is almost done. All free.
  23. RJP Electric

RJP Electric Member

Loc:
    N. New Hampshire
    My 10 for the following year just got delivered. I better get busy.

Attached Files:

24. fyrwoodguy

fyrwoodguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    eastern central NH
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then it snowed,rained.then got cold-the last blast 'till spring ;-)

[​IMG]
    1-2 acres done. 12 more to go :roll:
    ALL the hardwood is being removed from ENTIRE LOT and being saved for round stovewood......"the best kind".....& FREE TOO !
  25. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Dang it Fyrwoodguy - now I have another toy on my list - mini grapple. I don't have time to build the stuff already on the list. Well, I guess I could move the hovercraft to a lower position. Hovercrafts don't do much real work anyhow.

Very cool.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.