1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How'd you start?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Joful, Dec 21, 2012.

?

How'd you start with woodstoves?

1. Came with the house I bought

11.9%
  2. Grew up with one

47.6%
  3. Thought of it all by myself

40.5%
  1. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    $600 per month in propane bills forced me into it.
    raybonz likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dafattkidd

dafattkidd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sound Beach, LINY
    Good idea for a thread. I'm really enjoying this.
  3. Oldhippie

Oldhippie Minister of Fire

Me too. I'm still in that first house.. and still have the Garrison One on the living room and it is still keeping us toasty. But, I added a 2nd stove to the basement/finished family room, and that stove does the trick completely until the temp drops below about 15'F then I get the Garrison going and we all sing "It's Hot In Here, Take Your Clothes Off".
    Pierre902 and raybonz like this.
  4. 343amc

343amc Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I grew up with it. Dad had an old Ashley stove in the basement, then got a wood furnace somewhere around 1982. That was the only heat until he passed away.

Flash forward a few years. I bought my current house in 2001. It had an oil furnace and three open fireplaces - two upstairs and one in the basement. Oil was a buck a gallon when I bought the house, so I ran oil until 2003 and used the open fireplace a few times a year.

Oil went up so I bought a wood insert and stainless liner. That cut my oil consumption in half. A few years later I bought a used pellet insert for the other upstairs fireplace. Ran that into the ground and replaced it last fall.

Now it's pellets during the day when I'm at work and cordwood at night. All my cordwood is scrounged. If I had to pay for wood I'd probably just run pellets for the convenience. It is nice having the wood insert for power outages though. Scored a good sized white ash this fall from my moms house. Tree service dropped it and left the wood. Got most of it bucked and split except what the MS290 can't get through. That is my 2014 wood.

I started the oil furnace once this season to make sure it would run if needed. Last oil delivery was in 2010. No plans to have oil delivered any time soon.
    raybonz likes this.
  5. Oldhippie

Oldhippie Minister of Fire

Can't beat that!!