1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How's bout 24/7 on low ?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by muss, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muss

muss Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Embden, Maine
    Thanks everybody for answering my vent question. Now, about running it on low on a regular basis . I figure it would keep the temp at a fairly even displacement but even if it doesn't , i'm still curious as to what harm or effect if any it would have on the stove's inner workings . Talked to a stove manufacturer yesterday and i really thought he was very careful if not evasive with most of my questions . He more or less told me my dealer could answer my questions. This really made me "wiggy" . But on everyone's advice on here, i will be going up & thru my roof overhang .

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Hey Muss....I have had my stove since Jan. 8th of this year.....have ran it on low pretty much 24/7 outside of a few times here and there when its really cold out and want good warmth and put it up on medium. I use high only if we have been gone and come home and want some faster warm up then I set it back down. I use low and it keeps the heat pretty much even throughout. You have to adjust for your own comfort but low and sometimes medium works for us :)

Now thats its Spring kind of......I'll turn it down to like 68-70 and let it go out and crank it up towards evening...
  3. Marster

Marster New Member

Loc:
    S. Central Pa
    I had my installer tell me that if I burn on low often I'll get more creosote build-up in the pipes. I personally have no idea if this is true or not. I've burned mine on 1 & 2 fan setting due to warm temps and never had it higher than fan setting 3 since in operation. I honestly can not tell if this is happening.(or not) Guess I'll find out on the first stove pipe cleaning. Maybe someone who does their own cleanings will chime in. I really like to know for sure too. My glass stays cleaner since I've changed pellets. Even before I switch pellets, glass dirt was a white (ish) powder. I would think the glass would be a good indication as to how things are burning. Only guessing though.
  4. CygnusX1

CygnusX1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central MA
    You will get a build up of creosote on your pipes, but if you run it for about an hour on high after a good cleaning, most of the creosote will burn off.

Since I clean my stove every 1-2 weeks I really don't have much build up. Even running it on high for about an hour a day will burn off most of it.

I've never heard of any problems with running a stove on low. Now that it's spring, I keep mine on low during the day and crank it up at night.

I guess the only problem would be if you were using a low heat, ashy pellet.
  5. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    3rd season with our pellet stove and I've never found "creosote" in the pipes.
    I clean the pipe system once at the beginning of the season and once
    at the end. Only thing that comes down is fine ash.

My stove burns 24/7 in the winter months, in early Fall and late Spring
    I burn on low all day. Only thing I have seen as a result is the door glass gets
    dirty very quickly on low. If I run it on a higher burn the glass stays
    pretty much clear. Not really a problem actually, just something I noticed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.