Hudson River Saranac loose door latch? See pics - suggestions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Working on a Hudson River Saranac door latch, I believe it is also similar to the West Point

Door is loose when closed. Fails dollar bill test.
The latch on the door is welded, no nut or washer on the door. The weld is not tight, maybe part of the problem?
Therefore maybe the latch bolt could be improved

Details
Original Bolt is Metric 6 Millimeter 1-1/4" long with 2 sleeves 1/4" long each
New bolt is same with one steel half inch sleeve purchased at the local hardware store Hillmans Display. New bolt sure looks better but still not tight enough. :-(

One suggestion from Inca Metals:
Loosen the two hinge bolts and push the hinge bar back. This did help some.
The hinge bolts are 10 mm :)

Observation:
Elongated holes in hinge go up and down for vertical leveling.
How about elongating the hole towards the front of the stove for a better tightening fit?

The door gasket is 5/8 inch round gasket.
Would going up to 3/4" or 7/8" help? or Make it worse?

Any comments?

See pics below:
Pic 1 - Orig Handle and latch bolt
Pic 2 - New Vs Old latch bolt
Pic 3 - Door Hindge Bolt.

Click to Enlarge

Attachments

• OrigDoorLatch.JPG
    OrigDoorLatch.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 106
  • NewSSvsOld.JPG
    NewSSvsOld.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 101
  • HingeBolt.JPG
    HingeBolt.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Possible to get some steel tubing and cut to fit over the original sleeve and if it works epoxy on to original sleeve!? I got a bucket of the material here but am way far away.

Possible to get some steel tubing and cut to fit over the original sleeve and if it works epoxy on to original sleeve!? I got a bucket of the material here but am way far away.

Good idea but the hook in the handle is the same diameter. I will check with Inca again about the hinge.

Good idea but the hook in the handle is the same diameter. I will check with Inca again about the hinge.
Did not get enough of an idea of the latch and its enclosure of the pin from the pics. Probably left with bigger rope as the door latch design was poor in that it does not allow for wear and compression etc.

Did not get enough of an idea of the latch and its enclosure of the pin from the pics. Probably left with bigger rope as the door latch design was poor in that it does not allow for wear and compression etc.

Probably why US Stove changed the latch on the 5660.

Don,

Did you check the latch to see if the bottom half of it was bent or that the top guide portion was bent, both could lead to the latch not pulling the door against the gasket if they are bent. If the bottom portion of the latch has been worn the same problem can occur. You are likely to run into problems if you try a gasket much larger than what is there to start with.

You may find that there is actually enough adjustment on the hinge side to both level and align the door as well as to get the door to properly close provided the latch isn't worn or bent.

Status
Not open for further replies.