Hudson River Saratoga Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

partsman

Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2008
New York
Has anyone out there purchased a Saratoga pellet stove sold by Hudson River Stove works? I ordered one in August after seeing at on display at a local fair. According to the brochure it could be controlled by a thermostat. The local dealer confirmed this and when I called Hudson River Stove (BAC sales) they also told me that this stove would shut down and start up by itself when used with a thermostat. I waited two months to receive the stove and when I got it home and unpacked it I found that it was made in Hong Kong! As I was reading the manual I realized that it had information that did not even pertain to my stove. Then I found out that tyhere was no way to hook up a thermostat!! I have spent the last four months waiting and fighting with my dealer and Hudson River, who keep telling me that a new circuit board is being developed and tested. I can't believe they would market and sell this stove when it won't do what it is supposed too. Has any one else had problems with one or with any other Hudson River Stoves?

I ordered a saranac model in sept or oct and was told that there were 500 people a head of me on the waiting list. Then found out in december that there were plenty of them in distribution but they were having so many problems with them that BAC wouldn't ship them out until the probs were worked out. I was told by a guy at the distributor that they were not a very good stove and that some of the other brands were much better. I ended up with a St Croix Afton bay and have been burning since Dec. 8th two tons so far with no probs.

Who is the dealer?

fast636 said:
I ordered a saranac model in sept or oct and was told that there were 500 people a head of me on the waiting list. Then found out in december that there were plenty of them in distribution but they were having so many problems with them that BAC wouldn't ship them out until the probs were worked out. I was told by a guy at the distributor that they were not a very good stove and that some of the other brands were much better. I ended up with a St Croix Afton bay and have been burning since Dec. 8th two tons so far with no probs.

Who is the dealer?

I'd take the dam thing back and get something else. Kudo's on the afton bay i have the same stove and 2+ years and counting no issues...

If the dealer will not act I think a call to Andrew Cuomo is in order.

Matt

I also was told that they had big problems with the Saranac model. Now my Sararoga has started to have problems with the auger starting up. Sometimes if I tap on the auger tube it will start working! If you read their website the owner, Jack Cohen, says "The Hudson river stoves are my crowning achievement". That's not something that I think I would brag about! I'm about ready to take this Saratoga stove back to the dealer and shove it up his a**. They have been telling me for five months now that a new circuit board is going to be available soon. Meanwhile I can't even get a manual that is correct for this stove. If anyone else has had similar problems with a Saratoga pellet stove, please let me know.

By the way the local dealer is Country Cubby in Oneonta, NY. They have given me terrible customer support. They won't return calls (I was told it was because the had nothing new to tell me). Most of the time when I call I get a busy signal or an answering machine. The were very attentive when I was ordering and paying for the stove, but now I can hardly get them to acknowledge me!

Bac sales is a distribution company that sells stoves to dealers, but they have the hudson river stoves built for them by a manufacturer.

Geez... If you had only known that China also has a Hudson River....

Status
Not open for further replies.