hudson rver saratoga

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bote3 said:
anybody have a reiew on this stove i cant seem to get much info on this stove

Can't tell you much about that particular model but Smokey The Bear, sammypoodle and I have the Hudson River Saranac model. They are manufactured by Inca Metal Cutting Ltd. out of Richmond, BC. I have been pretty pleased so far with relatively few problems. The stove is easy to work on and has performed well for me for over three years. I have put over 10 ton of pellets through this stove. I think most would offer the opinion that the Hudson River stove is an entry level stove. You can call it anything you want, but for the price I think you get a pretty well-built stove. I think it all boils down to what you are willing to spend. If you hang around on this site long enough, you will see there are problems with ANY pellet stove, whether it costs 2k or 4k. You are going to have to fix and maintain whatever you buy. All together, I can't say that I would not buy another Hudson River Stove. I think it all boils down to personal preference, the quality and reputation of your dealer and what you are willing to spend. Check out the Hudson River stoves website. They have just come out with a new model "Davenport" which looks really nice.

What can one say, they are devices with a fire inside and moving mechanical parts just like the rest out there.

If you are prepared to track down every little problem and fix it, I'm sure that the stove will do its part.

What it won't do is feed and clean itself, or and this is a big or it can only heat so much so if you are planning on this becoming your primary heat source you need to make certain it is able to heat your space on its middle firing rate. If it can't you are going to be both overtaxing the stove and your patience.

Now about dealers, does the word salesman ring a bell? If you can't handle replacing a blower, or door gasket, you really, really need to find a place that actually provides quality service, there is a huge disconnect on that side of the business.

If you do decide to get that stove make certain that all factory modifications have been installed.

I'd love to have the Davenport's control board on my stove as it would allow some minor burn adjustments to be made.

As Doocrew said they are a basic line of stoves.

If you go through the threads here you'll find that all of the stoves have "issues" (I'd love to "process" the idiot that decided to call problems issues.).

Oh, there's more than just that if you go snooping around.

Funny, but it looks like a lot of stump jumping goes on in the stove business.

Perhaps those big box pellets experts have it right, but it isn't the pellets it's the stoves.

Hudson river stoves are actually mfg in China... seen lotsa issue with them, many who have them come in and upgrade to a Harman round here.

Made in China, at one time a pretty large recall. If you need to buy a pellet stove and it needs to be cheap, look at Englander. At least they are made in the USA, are decent quality and have great phone support.

Pretty Sure the Davenport is actually an EF2/EF3 with the digital control boarded installed. Something Enviro doesn't offer. Hmmmm. Looks like I better keep an eye out on Hudson River stoves! Wonder when they will adapt the Enviro Multifuel engine in to one of there line ups?

summit said:
Hudson river stoves are actually mfg in China... seen lotsa issue with them, many who have them come in and upgrade to a Harman round here.

Franks said:
Made in China, at one time a pretty large recall. If you need to buy a pellet stove and it needs to be cheap, look at Englander. At least they are made in the USA, are decent quality and have great phone support.

Not many things out there today that don't have the Made in Chine somewhere on or in them. Whether it be electronics, castings or motors ect. Take a good look at the stoves your taughting boys cus they got um too!

Its one thing to have a motor or a switch or a board from china... Its another to have the whole thing made there.

Better term is assembled in USA or Canada. We'll get out jobs back when they decide to raise there living standards.

If a company walked in your door saying your percentage of sale was going to be much much higher with brand X stove. Would you sell it?

Nope. In fact, American Energy Systems sent me an email a few years ago that their Baby Countryside model is being phased to "Global Manufacturing" When I asked if that meant "Made in China" they said yes, but it meant better pricing for us. I said great. Within a week the stove was off my floor and got sold at a discount. I have NOT sold one since. I have actually told customers I wouldnt sell them one when they would call about it. It's not that I hate China, I just try to do things as locally as possible. This applies to home and business. When time to replace the dish washer and fridge, I went extra and bought a Bosch dishwasher, because I could barely afford it. The fridge ended up being a Kenmore. Like I said, when I can, I can. If China, or any other non North American country was the sole supplier of pellet stoves and I had no choice, they would have my business. But if there is a choice, and I can afford to do it, I look at labels and try to keep my money as local as possible, right down to trying to shop in the town I live in.

Even in these tough times, there are still some folks out there who care enough to do their small part. Now I dont expect everyone to do it, and I dont do it all the time ( I drive a Honda). Now, if we are to stick to the facts and not politics, I know the person who imports the Hudson River stoves. I Know him personally and I have known him for decades. I still wont sell the stove, not only because of the China thing, I just think they arent good stoves. I base that on feedback I get from folks that own them.

Also, just for kicks, I typed "Hudson River" in the search feature of this website and found plenty of info. I suggest the OP does the same.

Franks said:
Nope. In fact, American Energy Systems sent me an email a few years ago that their Baby Countryside model is being phased to "Global Manufacturing" When I asked if that meant "Made in China" they said yes, but it meant better pricing for us. I said great. Within a week the stove was off my floor and got sold at a discount. I have NOT sold one since. I have actually told customers I wouldnt sell them one when they would call about it. It's not that I hate China, I just try to do things as locally as possible. This applies to home and business. When time to replace the dish washer and fridge, I went extra and bought a Bosch dishwasher, because I could barely afford it. The fridge ended up being a Kenmore. Like I said, when I can, I can. If China, or any other non North American country was the sole supplier of pellet stoves and I had no choice, they would have my business. But if there is a choice, and I can afford to do it, I look at labels and try to keep my money as local as possible, right down to trying to shop in the town I live in.

Even in these tough times, there are still some folks out there who care enough to do their small part. Now I dont expect everyone to do it, and I dont do it all the time ( I drive a Honda). Now, if we are to stick to the facts and not politics, I know the person who imports the Hudson River stoves. I Know him personally and I have known him for decades. I still wont sell the stove, not only because of the China thing, I just think they arent good stoves. I base that on feedback I get from folks that own them.

Good for you....I would have done the same.

Unfortunately most business men don't think this way and see the dollar as motivation. And most buyers look at the cheap alternative.

I work for a company thats global. Our US made goods are going all over the globe. We compete with technology and high speed assembly equipment to manufactor our products. All I will say is we make the world a better smelling place. Specially elevators. Even china buys our goods.

Just for giggles I did a Google search, would someone mind telling me what weighs about 200 lbs each and was provided by Japanese distributor NAGANO & SOHSYO CO. LTD to Hearthstone in Vermont from China via Portland, Oregon?

Hmmm, thats a good one. 200lbs...I think Hearthstones castings come from Spain. Soapstone from different parts of the world. Maybe the new Sand Stone for their pellet stoves? I dont really know what stones are indigenous (if thats the right word) to what countries. Unless it's a big box of motors or something. How the hell did you find that in a search? Google "what do chinese people ship to hearthstone"?

j-takeman said:
Unfortunately most business men don't think this way and see the dollar as motivation. And most buyers look at the cheap alternative.

I work for a company thats global. Our US made goods are going all over the globe. We compete with technology and high speed assembly equipment to manufactor our products. All I will say is we make the world a better smelling place. Specially elevators. Even china buys our goods.

I believe ct has more small businesses than any other NE state.

Franks said:
Hmmm, thats a good one. 200lbs...I think Hearthstones castings come from Spain. Soapstone from different parts of the world. Maybe the new Sand Stone for their pellet stoves? I dont really know what stones are indigenous (if thats the right word) to what countries. Unless it's a big box of motors or something. How the hell did you find that in a search? Google "what do chinese people ship to hearthstone"?

There is even more information than what I dug up and posted. I'm more inclined to think heat exchangers, other metal stove sub assemblies, or completed small stoves. There were also some items that are in the 450 pound range. I didn't bother to pay for the more detailed information along with all of the relationships between the various companies.

You need to understand a few things, first all imports have to declare for customs and those records are public, and that people make money by scanning such information into computer retrieval systems and making it available for a small fee.

Most countries also require companies to register and provide basic information about what line of business they are in along with legal contact information.

Companies also have a proclivity to provide websites to hawk their wares.

A little bit of Internet time can then get you tons of real information on what , when, where, and how things get shipped.

I leave such research for the student as a homework assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.