Humidifying pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
madison said:
I can attest that a cast iron kettle placed directly on a steel stove top will boil hard enough to spit water out the spout like a whale, and when that water hits the stove top, it will wake you out of a deep sleep.

Use a cast pot rather than a kettle - no spout for spitting, and a lot more surface area for evaporation. If you are getting a hard boil, use a tile or trivet.

Not sure why, but the water in my cast iron pot never seems to bubble or boil, it just steams (and goes through as much as a few gallons a day). But I can easily bring water to a boil in my steel tea kettle.

So why is it I can't boil water or fry on the cook top but it'll make a humidifying pot boil over ever time?

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
So why is it I can't boil water or fry on the cook top but it'll make a humidifying pot boil over ever time?

-Emt1581

Type of stove?

I've never had my cast kettle boil over in 10 years. It holds 2 quarts and has to be refilled every 24 hours.

don't know if there are any storees by the name of "menards" out by you but thats where we bought a cast kettle a few years back. black with handle and i think about $12 but may be wrong on the price...all i remember about the price is that it was very low in comparison

Hardrockmaple said:
emt1581 said:

-Emt1581

Type of stove?

I've never had my cast kettle boil over in 10 years. It holds 2 quarts and has to be refilled every 24 hours.

It's a VC Encore 2in1 wood stove.

The vast majority of replies share experiences of boiling over which is why I'm confused about cooking vs. humidifying pot.

-Emt1581

emt1581 said:
Hardrockmaple said:
emt1581 said:

-Emt1581

Type of stove?

It's a VC Encore 2in1 wood stove.

The vast majority of replies share experiences of boiling over which is why I'm confused about cooking vs. humidifying pot.

-Emt1581

There are a lot of variables.

Some water "steaming" apparatuses are different than others even when referred to by a common name. Not everyone has the same stove. Not everyone puts in on the same place on their stove. Not everyone burns hardwood. Everyone doesn't fire to the same temperature. Some stoves will conduct the heat faster based on build (soapstone, cast, steel). Nobody here mentioned if they placed theirs on a trivet or not. etc. etc.

It's hard to make an apples to apples comparison. I would recommend getting a cast trivet to set the steamer on to start with then if you don't think it's steaming enough then try it w/out.

pen

This is what I use. I've posted this pic previously but here it is again:

pot.jpg

If you are committed to getting one, avoid the "tea pot design", even with the lid off, you can get a geyser of water out the tea spout. Pick one more like Shari's.... Note the trivet underneath the horsey kettle

With a stove top at 600+, water will boil water quite rapidly when the container is placed directly on the 600 degree surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.