Hurricane Irene

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags said:
No wise cracks? Your ruining my day, Soupy. :mad:

[wisecracks]

I flipped the glass patio table over and strapped the chairs upside down with bungies to the table.

So I went up the ladder just now to put some caulk on the chimney stay brackets where they are lagged to the roof. Didn't the friggin ladder slip out. The feet were on the deck and I had been going up and down it the whole time while installing the chimney. Well now it's wet, ladder slipped out just as I was stepping onto the roof. I fell from the top with one leg stuck in a rung and bam on to the deck. Fortunately it looks like just the front of my shin got the worst of it. I succumbed to the pain for about 10 minutes and moved the ladder to the dirt. Finished the job. Shin is aching.

It's been thunderstorming off and on all day. Not a good preface to a hurricane as everything is getting pretty loaded with water. The worst of this storm up here is gonna be the water if it does in fact rain alot.

Wow, looks like you got lucky with that fall, could have been much worse. Hopefully all you will need is some ice and Advil to take care of the pain.

zapny said:
Badfish740 said:
BrowningBAR said:
Between skimming land mass and the colder waters, I would be amazed if the storm can maintain winds that powerful by the time it hits CT.

I was just reading that ocean temps (off of the Jersey coast at least) are unseasonably warm right now. NOAA puts the temps at Sandy Hook and Cape May at nearly 77 degrees-usually we don't see that until darn near October. Not sure how much effect that will have?

WRAL in North Carolina, with whats coming.

http://www.wral.com/weather/story/10042666/

zap
You'd be crazy to stay on the outer banks, nothing but sand to stop the wind, water and the subsequent destruction. I was there 3 weeks after a storm hit a few years back and the water was still pooled up in some of the side streets

firefighterjake said:
. . . and don't forget to stock up on the Three B's . . . blondes, brunettes and bleach . . . the later so the blondes can stay blonde

Often overlooked in emergency preparedness . . .
0410-female-firefighters-05-de7.jpg

mhrischuk said:
So I went up the ladder just now to put some caulk on the chimney stay brackets where they are lagged to the roof. Didn't the friggin ladder slip out. The feet were on the deck and I had been going up and down it the whole time while installing the chimney. Well now it's wet, ladder slipped out just as I was stepping onto the roof. I fell from the top with one leg stuck in a rung and bam on to the deck. Fortunately it looks like just the front of my shin got the worst of it. I succumbed to the pain for about 10 minutes and moved the ladder to the dirt. Finished the job. Shin is aching.
Glad you are able to write about that. Hope ice and ibuprofen do the job.

Many many years ago dad ran out to his place right before a storm front to nail on some loose roofing. He was up there when the ladder blew down. He was waving and signaling people as they passed along the road other side of the RR tracks. They waved and signaled back, not thinking he was trapped. My mom got worried when he didn't show up for supper so she drove their brand new ford out to check on him. She couldn't get the ladder up, so she backed out to go get help. Except she missed the crossing and got the car stuck on the tracks. So she went walking to a neighbor for help. While she was gone, my dad said he was sitting on the roof waving to people and waiting for the train to come by and cream his new car. He couldn't recall if the insurance guy said it was covered as soon as he bought it or if he was supposed to go by the agents office with the paperwork. Which he had not done. The neighbor got there with a tractor and pulled the car off the tracks and got the ladder up before the storm. Next morning 6:00am at the bakery he was the focus.

Tell you what I hated about hurricanes was the wait. You get notice in terms of days. Just longer to squirm and make bad decisions before the storm hits.

Tornadoes are horrible, but it is over in a few hours. Storm warning, sirens, basement, all clear. Then it is either watch it rain or get out the chain saw and trusty timber jack. :)

Now just the top of my ankle has a little discomfort when I bend it around. No problem walking. I got lucky.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't started any of the generators yet. I might try using the little 2 stroke genny for the fridge and TV and a light or two.

How do you store water? 5 gallon pails for flushable? How about potable? Bottled water?

Well this is the first I hear of a huricane but I wouldn't worry about it too much. We get 60-70mph sustained winds with 100+mph gusts in the winter and I've never done anything special other than tie down my newly planted trees do they don't get broken.

Stuff that you;d think would never move around will though... like big dumpsters, signs, roof shingles, trees, etc. Last winter my car got pushed about 25ft across the driveway from the wind (was parked on ice).

Doesn't effect my stove too much, maybe a slightly stronger draft, but honestly can't hardly notice in the house that it's windy other than watching the trees bending at a 45* angle or when a real strong gusts hits and snow is pushed through the window seals ($$ windows too!)

velvetfoot said:
I'm ashamed to say I haven't started any of the generators yet. I might try using the little 2 stroke genny for the fridge and TV and a light or two.

How do you store water? 5 gallon pails for flushable? How about potable? Bottled water?

We just fill up our tubs for the flush water. Bottled water my wife keeps about 30 gallons in the basement for these type emergencies

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
firefighterjake said:
. . . and don't forget to stock up on the Three B's . . . blondes, brunettes and bleach . . . the later so the blondes can stay blonde

Often overlooked in emergency preparedness . . .

I think I like your suggested Three Bs better than my own . . . although I have a beer loving friend that honestly would probably take the beer, batteries and bleach over the blodes, brunettes and bleach . . . he's a bit strange that way . . . well, he just really, really loves his beer.

In addition to the basics mentioned, I always like to have on hand, plenty of toilet paper, emergency lighting candles and LED lamps with fresh batteries, a good staple gun with at least a couple packages of staples and a few rolls of 4 mil, 10x25' plastic sheeting.

Yes, toilet paper is necessary because many times when you look out side it makes you crap.

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes, toilet paper is necessary because many times when you look out side it makes you crap.

Now that right thar's funny!

Ok, ok, ok . . . since we've all prepared the best we can, it's time to relax a bit . . .

You can only take three items through the impending nature event. What three?

Toilet paper
Bleach
Babe(s)
Beer (or other liquid spirit)
Batteries (if yer one of the ladies, this is a given ;-P )
Bottled water
Weapon of choice
Chain saw (if yer of the utilitarian gender, this is a given :lol: )

Other??

Status
Not open for further replies.