1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Hurricane Sandy

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by thewoodlands, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    I used to live in a cottage on the sound in Westbrook. A high tide would surround the house. Best wishes to you guys for this storm!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    Bowen's wharf (Newport) during high tide this morning

Attached Files:

3. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Sustained winds increasing, gusts are getting strong, small branches starting to snap. One larger one in the woods is broke and leaning on another tree. Won't light the stove at this point although would like to, the wind just cooling this place. Be safe
  4. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    My wife got our batch of cookies done before 10am... Oatmeal mmmmmm.... Winds here already feel as strong as we got during Irene last year. Not many without power yet.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Power outage reports are going up rapidly. Now up to the tens of thousands in the 10 state coastal area of influence. 21000 on Long Island alone.

Red Hook, Brooklyn, NY is starting to flood. Be safe folks and don't go outside unless you have too. Avoid standing under or near any big trees and treat any downed wire as hot and unsafe.
  6. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    I don"t know why they didn't bomb the hell out Sandy when she was over the Atlantic.
    firefighterjake likes this.
  7. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

This storm gained strength. Hell, another 6 mph it would be a cat 2
  8. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Is home, and staying home.

It isn't pretty out there. Winds are really picking up.
  9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

10. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    this is really the year of the storm

we're a long way from Sandy, but our friends in Wawa, ON got a taste of what @ 6" of rain in 24 hours can do, far from either coastline

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...on-near-wawa-ont/article4710264/?from=4710407

Batten down and stay safe, everyone.
  11. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    We are in Chalker Beach, and right on the water. We were neighbors! :) From the pic posted above of Newport, I don't have much hope for the cottage in this. You be safe too!
  12. mfglickman

Loc:
    NW CT
    Mmmm. Oatmeal chocolate chip here. I get dagger looks if I make oatmeal cinnamon raisin cookies...then again the raisins are toxic for the dogs so I just roll with it. LOL. I figure the oatmeal makes them pass for breakfast in a long blackout, right? ;)
  13. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    At work here....not too worried about power outages, our stove is 1950's era propane so we don't need electric to run it (match light oven and pilot light burners). The fridge stays pretty cool so as long as it's not for a week that'll be fine. Too bad our LP water heater is power vented. We can heat up water on either the wood stove or range though. Mostly worried about flying debris and trees coming down...and the roof shingles staying where they are supposed to be.
  14. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I am spoiled in RI because we sit on a bluff about 120+ feet above the Sakonnet! Since the whole dang place (island) is made of rock, it's pretty solid.

The lowlands at the bottom and the top of the island are likely to be very wet!
  15. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Our power went out 30 minutes ago. Internet running on the battery backup. I'll wait until its out a few hours before dragging out the genny.

http://outagemap.nstar.com/outage/OutageMap.aspx
    Outage counts climbing fast. We went from nothing to 20% of town and over half of some neighboring towns in an hour.

Winds outside already feel stronger than Irene, and that one left us out 10hr and some neighbors for 4 days.
  16. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Sounds like a plan to me! ... We made the oatmeal thinking they are at least somewhat more nutritional than chocolate chip for the twins.

Speaking of which my son is following in Dads footsteps as a cookie monster. 22mo old and he climbed up on the counter to steal one while we weren't looking!
  17. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Craig I'm confused. Where in RI is "western MA" ?? Or is that where Webbie compound south is located? :)
  18. mfglickman

Loc:
    NW CT
    First tree down. Took part of the fence with it. Pfft. Though, it will be firewood, one day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The thing is turning harder left than forecast. We in NOVA be in a world of poop.
  20. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Steady light rain here and lots of wind! Gusts make the house shake! I'm about 1500' from the Hudson and about 25' above sea level. Neighbors are getting worried about the 10' storm surge tonight. I may have waterfront property!
    Fireview is cruising along on a slow cat burn keeping the house warm and dry. These gusts of wind blow right through the house. Had a hard time establishing draft from cold stove, but going nicely now.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  21. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Good luck Bart... We are on the edge of it here and its hitting us hard.
  22. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Six thousand in Fairfax, VA out of power and it isn't even up to steam yet. Four hours to go before the hardest stuff starts according to the best weather wienie in the area.
  23. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Well things going down hill getting colder and more windy power and internet going in and out.

My plan for tonight with the stove is to do a small hot fire before bed then shut her down till tomorrow don't want no down draft while i am sleeping.
  24. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Hey Zap, this is interesting!

at201218.gif
  25. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC