Huskee 28 Ton Splitter Question about leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crocboy25

Hearth Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
tallahassee fl
Hello,

I own a 28 Ton Huskee splitter. I have had it about 2 years and it has worked great. I live in north Florida and keep it in my garage. The other day it started getting very cold(20s). Not sure if that had anything to do with it but it noticed a drip on the floor below the splitter. I checked the large hose leading from the resouvoir was "Sweating" the hydro fluid.... very odd. Can cold weather make the hose "shrink" or cause it to leak like that? Not really sure what to do. I dont think the hose is dry rotted or anything...

any ideas?

Thanks

Lee

From what I have read on another list they are replacing this hose as the wrong material is reported to have been used. Check with the manufacturer about your issue and see what they say.

Shari said:
From what I have read on another list they are replacing this hose as the wrong material is reported to have been used. Check with the manufacturer about your issue and see what they say.

Interesting.... I had not heard that yet....

Welcome to the forum crocboy25.

Yes, check with the manufacturer on this problem.

Also, for your information, 20 degrees is not, "very cold!" It certainly is not cold enough to make much difference on things other than people wearing more clothing. ;-)

I would also suspect hose material. Log splitter as a whole are generally not made with the best of the best material. The hose may be "Hydraulic" hose but the specifications are only met to get it out the door and sold at the store. There are several brands of hydraulic hose that are far superior to the products of the manufacturer. I personally go for Parker or Areoquip. I own a splitter that is upper end on the quality scale, I also have replaced most every hose and the operating valve. The hoses are all in good shape but the valve is beginning to leak again. All of my hoses started to leak after one year, The valve was after 4-6 months, it was a cheap overseas unit.

RNLA said:
I would also suspect hose material. Log splitter as a whole are generally not made with the best of the best material. The hose may be "Hydraulic" hose but the specifications are only met to get it out the door and sold at the store. There are several brands of hydraulic hose that are far superior to the products of the manufacturer. I personally go for Parker or Areoquip. I own a splitter that is upper end on the quality scale, I also have replaced most every hose and the operating valve. The hoses are all in good shape but the valve is beginning to leak again. All of my hoses started to leak after one year, The valve was after 4-6 months, it was a cheap overseas unit.

Interesting... I appreciate the information. I called a hydro store here in town and am going out to see about getting a replacement for it. Is replacing the hose something that I can do at home or does that have to be taken into a shop and have it professionally done?

thanks for your fast help guys.

Depending on your skill set and mechanical aptitude you could easily do the job. If I see it correctly your suction hose is the problem. So just make sure you have some drain pans and absorbent pads on hand and you can take the pump side off and plug the end with a temporary object that fits tightly in the hose. Then making sure you have the new hose ready install it to the pump and tighten fitting or clamp. Then carefully look at where you have all the tools and pans ETC. You can prepare to quickly remove and stuff the new hose on the tank fitting. IF you get everything in place and know what you want to happen you can switch the hoses quickly and loose only a small amount of hydraulic fluid. Be aware though if you make a small mistake the fluid will be coming out quickly and you will have a mess!

RNLA said:
Depending on your skill set and mechanical aptitude you could easily do the job. If I see it correctly your suction hose is the problem. So just make sure you have some drain pans and absorbent pads on hand and you can take the pump side off and plug the end with a temporary object that fits tightly in the hose. Then making sure you have the new hose ready install it to the pump and tighten fitting or clamp. Then carefully look at where you have all the tools and pans ETC. You can prepare to quickly remove and stuff the new hose on the tank fitting. IF you get everything in place and know what you want to happen you can switch the hoses quickly and loose only a small amount of hydraulic fluid. Be aware though if you make a small mistake the fluid will be coming out quickly and you will have a mess!

"Speedy Dri" works great for oil spills - or cat litter kinda works.

Shari

It sounds like the problem I had. It's not really a leak at one point, at the ends, or a cut at the fittings; but it looks like oil is diffusing through the entire length of the hose, right? This is a known issue at SpeeCo. By mistake, they included a pneumatic hose (Thermoid MAINLINER) instead of an oil rated hose (Thermoid VERSICON) with some splitters.

Call SpeeCo (makers of Huskee) and they'll ship you a replacement hose.

Here's my discussion and pictures from another forum: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=154149

TreePointer said:
It sounds like the problem I had. It's not really a leak at one point, at the ends, or a cut at the fittings; but it looks like oil is diffusing through the entire length of the hose, right? This is a known issue at SpeeCo. By mistake, they included a pneumatic hose (Thermoid MAINLINER) instead of an oil rated hose (Thermoid VERSICON) with some splitters.

Call SpeeCo (makers of Huskee) and they'll ship you a replacement hose.

Here's my discussion and pictures from another forum:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=154149

I called SpeeCo and the guy there said I am pretty much out of luck and that if I wanted a new one I would have to order it(pay for it myself) and wait a week or so for it to come in. Problem is, I need to use the splitter now.... Guess i am off to the hydro store here in town to buy a new hose myself.... I am going to try to install it myself.

You guys are saying that it will pump out the oil with the hose off even when the machine is turned off? Excuse my ignorance as I am a newbe to hydro operated devices...

Don't give up yet. Look on the hose and tell us what it says. If it doesn't say Versicon, then SpeeCo will send you a hose free of charge. They've been good about this and have done this with many people on ArboristSite.com. If it says Mainliner, you are entitled to a new hose.

Call SpeeCo 800-525-8322, and ask for Kevin in customer service.

TreePointer said:
Don't give up yet. Look on the hose and tell us what it says. If it doesn't say Versicon, then SpeeCo will send you a hose free of charge. They've been good about this and have done this with many people on ArboristSite.com. If it says Mainliner, you are entitled to a new hose.

Ok, when I get home I will look at the hose and see what kind it is. I am at work right now. Thanks for the help. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

TreePointer said:

Bump it... i am gonna call now.

TreePointer said:

Atta boy! I got 'er done did! Kevin wasnt there but a guy named Kent was and he hooked me up!

Now.... if only I could change that sucker on my own.... :p
thanks again guys.

crocboy25 said:
TreePointer said:

Atta boy! I got 'er done did! Kevin wasnt there but a guy named Kent was and he hooked me up!

thanks again guys.

If it's the larger hose as you say, then it's the hydraulic return hose. They are fastened only with a hose clamp on each end and not threaded hydraulic fittings. All you need to do is take a screwdriver (or nut driver) and loosen the two clamps. Then, swap hoses and tighten clamps. Done. Get it very snug, but don't tighten them to the point that they cut into the hose material.

Of course, you will need to put some sort of drip pan below your work area because there may be some fluid in the old hose. I remove the top end of the hose first so I can guide it into the drip pan to let it drain. If you use a clean drip pan, you can even put the escaped hydraulic fluid back into the reservoir when finished. Also, don't forget to check the hydraulic fluid level dipstick when finished with the hose swap.

Good luck!

TreePointer said:
crocboy25 said:
TreePointer said:

thanks again guys.

If it's the larger hose as you say, then it's the hydraulic return hose. They are fastened only with a hose clamp on each end and not threaded hydraulic fittings. All you need to do is take a screwdriver (or nut driver) and loosen the two clamps. Then, swap hoses and tighten clamps. Done. Get it very snug, but don't tighten them to the point that they cut into the hose material.

Of course, you will need to put some sort of drip pan below your work area because there may be some fluid in the old hose. I remove the top end of the hose first so I can guide it into the drip pan to let it drain. When your unit is back together with the new hose, don't forget to check the hydraulic fluid level dipstick.

Good luck!

It is the return hose.... I will do as you described above.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.