Schrader Slammer Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SpoSam11

Jan 14, 2024
Spokane, WA
Hello,

I am brand new to the site and pretty new to using my old Schrader wood stove in the home I recently bought. It is a slammer and, as I understand, is considered unsafe due to the following:

-extra creosote buildup due to potential cold air leaking into the firebox while burning
-no effective use of a liner, causing the chimney to get dirtier faster
-anything else?

Right when I moved in I had a sweeper company come out. The guy said my chimney was very clean and I had a “great draft.” He said he couldn’t officially tell me this, but if I used the stove occasionally and not as a primary heat source, that it should be no problem. He also said the surround was well insulated and there should be no smoke that escapes or air that can sneak behind the surround.

My question is this. If I use this setup occasionally, meaning during cold snaps or for weekends at a time, should I be concerned about a chimney fire?

I have been utilizing the stove for these purposes using dried, seasoned wood. I notice nothing that would indicate excessive creosote buildup or poor ventilation, but then again I’m obviously no expert.

A friend of mine had the same company come out. He has an open fireplace with no liner, and the guy didn’t say anything about his setup being potentially dangerous. What is the difference between my setup and his, other than mine having a stove to burn the wood?

Thanks for any and all help!
Sam

image.jpg

A open fireplace does not restrict oxygen to the fire like your controlled oxygen Inert.

The original fireplace lost much more heat up, reducing creosote formation.

Your Insert has a smaller exhaust opening, allowing the hot exhaust gases to cool as they expand into the larger area.

The object is keeping the flue above 250* to the top. This prevents water vapor from condensing on flue walls, allowing smoke particles to stick. This forms creosote.

Cleaning of your chimney requires removal of entire Insert to remove debris behind it. This is avoided with a liner connected to the top of it.

Another reason for a liner is the air leaks around your Insert faceplate that may not seal well to the fireplace face. This allows indoor air to leak in, and mix with the rising flue gases, cooling them, forming creosote. ALL air must enter through intake and go through the fire, not bypass it.

Hot rising gases in chimney flue creates a low pressure area in the flue and Insert. This allows atmospheric air pressure to PUSH into the void created by chimney. Any leaks into the chimney allows the atmospheric pressure to leak in, not byproducts of combustion to leak out. This is how indoor air leaks into chimney, cooling it.

In other words, get yourself an insulated liner installed and enjoy.
Oh, and make sure you have a block off plate above the insert too.