Schrader fireplace baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jjsay5011

Nov 9, 2023
Roslyn Wa
I have an old Schrader, unsure on the year or model. My grandpa had bought it and used it for years as their primary heat source after they switched from coal. I now have been using it for a while. I noticed getting it hot was no issue. When it came to efficiency, that is where I was having issues. When looking I would notice that I had alot of wasted heat would go right out the back and into the chimney. After countless hours of research, I figured I should make myself a baffle. Got some 3/8in plate and went to town with the plasma cutter. 20231109_161022.jpg

This is what I ended up with. I also added in a bypass with a shutdown for starting.
20231109_161112.jpg

So far, it's increased my internal temps at a consistent 580° and keeps my chimney temps down at around 350°. With this I am now able to run with the main damper almost closed while still maintaining a good flow out the top of my chimney. More testing will follow with efficiency and how well it holds wood overnight!
20231109_182046.jpg20231109_182128.jpg
20231109_190736.jpg

Do you have any follow-up with the overnight burns?

Yes! I load 8 pieces of wood into the stove at around 730pm, lock it down, wake up at 600am and will still have 1.5logs burning. When it's locked down for the night I have the door vents open about 1/16in and the damper set about 7/8 closed. It will maintain 300-350°F this keeps my old 1800sqft house about 70°F when it's 15°F outside. As for burning during the day I can maintain 500-600°F with little to no effort now. Before I couldn't keep a fire going all night and I would be constantly throwing wood into it.
Do you have any follow-up with the overnight burns?

Reactions: begreen
Nice work, Do you use the bypass? Do you think it is needed?

Nice work, Do you use the bypass? Do you think it is needed?
Definitely not needed but it does help. My chimney has a good draft to it so i can start a fire with it closed. Now I do use it in the morning after a long cold burn through the night to clear out the chimney. It also does help with getting the fire going and warming every thing up quick.

Reactions: bigealta
That 3/8" is a big chunk of steel. Has it warped at all?

Have you tried top down starts? i bet a top down start would heat that baffle up so quickly you might not need to use the bypass at all?

Have you tried top down starts? i bet a top down start would heat that baffle up so quickly you might not need to use the bypass at all?
I only do top down starts. Heats up pretty good. The bypass definitely isn't necessary but if you want to heat up the chimney and burn it out it helps alot. Hasn't had any signs of warping yet

I'm asking all these questions because my buddy has the same exact stove. I wonder if you could slide the whole baffle forward a few inches to do the same thing as the bypass when wanting to heat up the chimney? And then push it back with a poker.

I'm asking all these questions because my buddy has the same exact stove. I wonder if you could slide the whole baffle forward a few inches to do the same thing as the bypass when wanting to heat up the chimney? And then push it back with a poker.
It's all good! The steel would be very heavy to push and pull. As long as their chimney has good flow I wouldn't worry about trying to bypass it. It will still get plenty hot just takes a few extra minutes