Husky 28 ton splitter issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crocboy25

Dec 8, 2010
tallahassee fl
Hello Group,

I have had a Husky 28 ton Splitter for about 5 years now with no problems. I change the oil every year in the Honda Engine. I live in North FLorida and keep it under a tarp when not in use. Last night for the first time when I was using the machine every now and then when I went to push on the lever to make it split, as soon as the blade hit the wood and encountered any resistance, the engine bogged down to the point where it almost shut off(sounded like when you have a weak push mower and you push it into a really thick patch of grass and it chokes). I backed off on the lever and the engine revved back up. It did this several times on and off for about 15 minutes. The wood I was splitting was not super hard so it wasnt like it was hitting a really hard knot or anything... Anyone have any idea what would cause something like this? I would rather get the issue taken care of before it gets to the point where it wont split anymore and might have caused damage to the machine.

thanks for any input.

Lee

I would first run some Seafoam through it. May be a dirty carb.

thanks for the reply....

Stupid question, but where can I get some SeaFoam?

Any good auto parts store or Walmart will have it.

It sound like a dirty carb. You can try some carb cleaner in it but the best solution
and the one with least aggravation is to overhaul the carb . If you do not feel
like you want to do the overhaul take the machine to a GOOD small engine Mech.
and have him do the overhaul and set up. note that it is a good idea to drain
small engine carbs when not in use or use a gasoline additive to keep the fuel
fresh ( fuel stabilizer ) This will keep the carb from gumming up with old fuel.
There is one other thing have you cleaned or changed the air filter if not give
the filter a good cleaning it may be starving for air

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.