Husqvarna and plowing the garden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Husqi

Sep 29, 2013
Ok, I own a YTH21K46 and I want to plow a small area for a garden with a Brinly sleeve hitch moldboard plow but the sleeve hitch for Husqvarna says its for garden tractors only. After some reading it's due to the heavy duty frame and 5 lug rim instead of the one center lug on garden tractors. I live in Florida though, not like I'm going to hit a bolder, clay or any type of heavy soil. Any thoughts on using the sleeve hitch on my lawn tractor to plow up grass in the sand?

Yes, we've looked but walk behind tillers take too long in the 100 degree heat.

2 things lawn tractor will not hold up to the work and it takes longer with a plow that's why I plow my garden for more seat time I have all modes of tillage, walk behind, mounted tiller on gt, plow on gt, plow on farmall. If you are breaking sod hire it done as it is hard going no matter what then once started one pass with tiller and time to plant

Its all relative on how hard and how long you ground engage. If you expect to do it routinely, you will fry your machine. Doing it once, if its real ez, you will probably get away with it. They make garden tractors for a reason.

Last edited:
I plow with my 1972 IH Cub Cadet 149 with a steel frame, cast iron transaxle and 5 bolt wheels about 4 full days a year. It is pretty hard work for a small machine. I would not try it with a newer lighter duty machine.
DSCN2162.JPG

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.